sports baseball

IU senior transitioning into new role this season

Senior infielder Casey Rodrigue kneels in prayer by the clubhouse before IU's game against Valparaiso on March 17 at Bart Kaufman Field.

Casey Rodrigue drops to one knee and rests his left arm against the wall separating the IU clubhouse from Bart Kaufman Field.

Minutes from first pitch between IU and Rutgers, he closes his eyes and drops his head as he readies himself before IU tries to sweep Rutgers. From a distance it might appear Rodrigue is hurt or distraught.

But Rodrigue is none of these things. He is calm.

He is praying.

“You always have to take time to pray, and playing on Sundays keeps you away from the church, so you have to get your praying in ?somehow,” Rodrigue said.

Growing up in Louisiana, Rodrigue was raised Catholic. He maintained his faith throughout his time at Louisiana State University-Eunice, a junior college, where he played two seasons.

As a freshman in 2012, Rodrigue won the NJCAA Division-II national championship after his team went 57-5. He was named to the All-Tournament team.

As a sophomore, Rodrigue was named a second team All-American and led all of Division-II and Division-III with 68 stolen bases. He also led his team to another title game but lost to Murray State 4-3.

But that was it for Rodrigue. LSU-Eunice is a two-year school, so his time was over. He still had two years of eligibility left, however, and he chose to use this eligibility at IU, a school more than 800 miles away from his hometown of Destrehan, La.

He immediately became the starting second baseman and leadoff hitter for the Hoosiers, starting in 58 of 59 games, but his role had changed. Rodrigue wasn’t able to be the menace on the base paths he once was.

Part of this was the increased level of competition. Another part was the three future Major League Draft picks batting behind him.

So a season after stealing 68 bases, Rodrigue only stole 12 on just 17 attempts. This season, however, those batters have left the lineup, and IU hired Chris Lemonis as its coach. He said the Hoosiers were going to be more aggressive on the bases in 2015.

But the biggest change in Rodrigue’s statistics so far have come at the plate, not in the 90 feet between first and second base. After hitting no home runs all of last season, Rodrigue is tied for the team lead with four in 2015. After driving in 22 runs in all of 2014, he has 22 RBIs 32 games into 2015.

Rodrigue has also raised his slugging percentage to .440 this season, compared to .362 in 2014.

He said his mentality at the plate hasn’t changed. Rather, the increased offensive production is a result of hard work in the offseason and more time spent in the batting cages.

“I’m not trying to hit home runs,” Rodrigue said of his approach at the plate. “I’m just trying to hit the ?ball hard.”

It is also strange for a team’s leader in home runs to bat leadoff, a spot typically reserved for contact hitters. Lemonis has recognized this fact but also jokingly says he wishes Rodrigue would hit a few more leadoff home runs.

The first at-bat of an inning can often be the most important. If the batter reaches base, the opposing pitcher is immediately under duress. The first at-bat of the game is even more important, especially considering Rodrigue’s speed.

If he reaches base to start the game, the opposing pitcher is immediately put into the stretch and must face the heart of IU’s order while also trying to keep Rodrigue from advancing an extra ?90 feet.

This is why it was a natural transition into leadership ?for Rodrigue.

After losing seven players who saw regular playing time last season, IU was lacking in veteran leadership, so it turned to its leadoff hitter and middle infielder.

It was a transition eased by Rodrigue’s experience in junior college. Because the most time a player spends playing for a junior college team is two seasons, Rodrigue already had experience in becoming a team’s leader in just his second ?season.

A necessary attribute for a leader is the ability to remain calm in important situations. An ability to set the tone and an ability to lead the way, just like a leadoff hitter.

Which is why minutes after Rodrigue finished praying, when he stepped into the batter’s box in the bottom of the first, he was calm.

When the first pitch of the game was called a strike, he didn’t panic. He remained patient and watched as the next two pitches missed the strike zone.

Then, when he got a fastball over the inner half of the plate, he turned on the pitch and hit the ball over the wall in right field.

And as he crossed home to give IU a one-run lead, a lead that would hold until the end of the game, he ?was calm.