Glow run supports medical clinic in Guatemala

Students spray glow paint on eachother during GlowRun sponsored by Timmy Global Health at Dunn Meadow on April 17, 2014.

Timmy Global Health will challenge students to run in its third annual Glow Run at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in Dunn Meadow.

There will be a pre-event party with music provided by DJ Summer Sausage. The event will also feature glow paint and a cardio hip-hop warm-up routine.

The 1-mile run starts at 9 p.m. Ater the race, participants are invited to Kilroy’s Dunnkirk for an after party and will receive buy one, get one free Chipotle coupons.

The event costs $15. All the profits from the event will go directly to support Timmy Global Health’s partner clinic in Xela, Guatemala.

“This money helps subsidize the salary of the native Guatemalan doctors who run our partner clinic throughout the entire year and is invested in essential public health resources and preventative medicine programs,” IU Timmy Global Health President Elizabeth Schueth said.

Schueth said that in the first two years of the glow run, Timmy Global Health raised a total of more than $5,500 for the clinic.

Timmy Global Health is a nonprofit organization with the mission to expand access to health care while empowering students and volunteers to tackle global health challenges.

The IU chapter is the largest of the 50 student chapters across the nation, Schueth said. She said students work all year long to raise funds and collect medical donations to support the clinic.

During spring break, 20 students and a group of eight medical professionals set up mobile clinics to provide access to health care for rural Guatemalans.

“We are not only attempting to tackle these health care challenges, but we place emphasis on the education, empowerment and creation of the future leaders of tomorrow,” Schueth said.

Marketing Chair for the Glow Run Kristen Swanson went on the spring break trip this year and said the experience was eye-opening.

“No matter what people tell you, you don’t know what it’s like until you’re there,” she said. “People complain about so much here, but we’re so lucky compared to them.”

Swanson said Timmy Global Health ensures its actions promote sustainability within the clinics.

“A chapter of the organization goes down to the clinic at least every three months, so we’re helping them year-round,” she said.

Sophomore and Timmy Global Health member Sarah Watkins said the organization also holds local volunteer events to give back to the Bloomington community. She said past events include volunteering at community events and implementing an obesity prevention program with IU Health.

Schueth said being involved in Timmy Global Health changed the way she looks at the provision of health care locally and abroad.

“My involvement in this organization has reinforced and refined my aspiration to attend medical school next year,” she said. “These experiences have had an immense impact on my life, and I believe for the rest of my life I will be involved in global health in some capacity.”