Fashion show presents student's designs

The models stood still and chatted in the crowded room as the designers made last-minute adjustments to their dresses, standing near a rack lined with clothes ranging from bright yellow to neutral tones of black and white.

As people prepared for the show backstage, the audience streamed into the room, sitting in the chairs surrounding the triangular runway. Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union quickly filled up beyond seating capacity and people gathered in the back, tiptoeing to see past the people in front of them.

The models showcased a wide range of styles as they walked down the runway during last night’s IU Fashion Design B.A. Fashion Show, which was produced by the Retail Studies Organization. The event was the program’s biggest fashion show yet, featuring the work of 24 fashion design students.

The models showcased the styles of each designer as they walked through an archway onto the runway, accompanied by upbeat electronic music.

Some wore vibrant colors like bright red, deep blue and glittering hues of green, while others wore simple black and white dresses. Some clothes were form-fitting, while others trailed against the floor. The designs included details such as helmets, capes and ?jewelry.

Ashley Minyard, co-director of the fashion show, said the number of designers doubled since last year.

The show has also made many changes from previous years, including the incorporation of technology from this year’s partnership with University Information Technology Services.

The show featured a camera attached to a robot, models wearing Google Glass and improved lighting. The show was also live-streamed.

Minyard said she was looking forward to seeing the combination of each designer’s individual styles.

“I’m just so excited to see all of the designs come together,” Minyard said.

Designer Madeline Hanley said the process of preparing for the fashion show caused a lot of late nights. She had to design seven pieces in seven weeks, compared to a fashion design student’s usual four pieces per semester.

The time and effort was worth it, she said.

In addition to designing her own collection, an issue with the zipper on one of her dresses caused an unexpected change in plans. The issue meant she was the only person who could fit in the outfit, so she modeled her own dress. Her collection was titled “Pearl of the Orient” and was inspired by post-World War II France and Japan.

Working on the show has been overwhelming, designer Maddy Behrens said, but she was also excited to see the final product. Her collection, “Sea Glass,” featured a series of blue dresses. She was also interested in the works of the other ?designers.

“I’m excited to see everyone else’s designs,” ?Behrens said.

Model Brennan Murphy expressed his excitement about being involved in ?the show.

It was enjoyable to have clothes fitted for him, he said. He also liked seeing the process of designs going from sketches to reality.

“It’s been wonderful,” Murphy said.

His favorite part of the show is when all the models come back out in an “unbroken line” for the finale. He described it as a “chain of designs” that highlights the vast array of styles from each designer.

Junior Laurel Washburn said she came to the show to see some of her classmates’ designs, and she liked viewing the “edgy” clothing.

“It was really fun to see what they were working on,” she said.

The collaboration with a large group of individuals has been rewarding, Hanley said. She said the experience created a “tangible, close-knit” feeling among those involved in the show. She predicts the event will be memorable.

“It will be very nostalgic in the future,” Hanley said.