COLUMN: This is the time of our lives, supposedly

Everything in this world is ending, and nothing is infinite. This will probably be the most depressing column I will ever write, but it will also be one of the most necessary. It’s one of those, “I need to get this out of my system or I’ll explode” kind of deals. You know how that goes.

Though I feel like this is just a less funny version of the Nihilist Arby’s Twitter parody, it is what I believe. Seriously, check it out. It’s hilarious, cynical and ?dangerously perceptive.

However, this semester is drawing to a close all too fast. Things are ending, people are going off into the real world and it all comes down to how we spend these last few fleeting moments together. I’ve got an entire school year ahead of me in the fall, but I’m not ready for this ?semester to end just yet.

My best friends are graduating and going off into the real world. Hell, some of them are getting married. I am still here. It becomes overwhelming to take in at once. Clearly, I don’t like change.

We are more vulnerable as humans than we will ever admit, whether it’s to ourselves or to the ones we cherish most. We cannot be perceived as weak, emotional ?or unguarded.

Too often, we are terrified to express ourselves because we don’t want to appear vulnerable. We keep it bottled up inside, letting it eat at us from the inside out. We cannot do this. But allowing yourself to be vulnerable is arguably one of the bravest things you may ever do in your lifetime.

And yet we tell ourselves, “Emotions? I don’t have those. Feelings? Hah. I drink male tears for breakfast.”

Just kidding. Unless you’re a sociopath, we’ve all got those darn things called emotions. So let’s own up to them now and again. And I think right now isn’t too late to start.

Do not strive for the acceptance of others. That is a thirst you will never be able to quench, a goal you will never reach. And that is just fine. Just remember to live ?for yourself.

Take a hot shower. Drink as much coffee as you damn well please. Eat that third cookie, and forget about burning off the calories later. Take more pictures and fewer Snapchats. Appreciate the times you have alone, but thrive in the times you are with the people you love.

Always speak your mind, even if your voice shakes. Stare at the sky and forget where you are for a moment. Get excited about something; let it consume you. Ask questions, but always strive to learn more.

Dye your hair in the sink. No, chop it all off. Make pancakes with the person you love at 3 a.m. Squeeze their hand just a bit harder so they know you care. Do what makes you feel alive, and don’t question it.

Bottom line, I have no idea what I’m going to do with my life. But for now, that’s OK.