Big Sean to perform for Little 500 concert tonight

Hip-hop/rap artist Big Sean will perform tonight at IU Auditorium with guests YG, Luke Christopher and Justine Skye for the Little 500 concert. Big Sean’s latest album, “Dark Sky Paradise,” was released Feb. 24.

Union Board Director of Music James Diamond said he expects a ?full house.

“The tickets sold out in pretty much 24 hours,” ?he said.

As director of the music committee, Diamond said he has been involved in the event from start to finish.

“Once Big Sean goes on stage and, like, all of the work has kind of finally amounted into what the campus has been expecting and looking for, then I can kind of breathe a sigh of relief,” ?Diamond said.

Union Board volunteers will be at the concert handing out Union Board merchandise and assisting the IU Auditorium staff, he said.

The staff will be on the lookout for inappropriate behavior, Diamond said. He said they hired ESG Security and Event Services to help monitor the event. There will also be a bag and ticket check to make sure no illegal substances come into the auditorium.

IU sophomore Marlene Biloria said she is looking forward to the Board’s planning paying off. As a member of the music committee, Biloria said she will be volunteering at the concert.

Biloria said the hype surrounding Big Sean and the guest artists sets this concert apart and creates an atmosphere perfect for the Little 500.

“It’s just the name Big Sean,” Biloria said. “A lot of people have been saying that Big Sean just goes with Little Five.”

She said being a part of the entire organizational process for the concert has been a satisfying experience. She is particularly looking forward to seeing YG perform, she said.

“He brings a whole different element of rap to the table than Big Sean does,” she said.

Although the artists are from similar genres, Biloria said she thinks they should bring a variety of sounds to the show.

“I think we kind of tried to bring, like, a little bit of everything,” she said. “It should be a good show. I think they all kind of go together.”

From a University programming standpoint, Diamond said this concert adds to the Little 500 student experience. He said it gives students a way to celebrate race week while staying safe.

“It provides a source of entertainment that is in a safe environment and that’s there to kind of watch over students and make sure that they’re enjoying one of IU’s best traditions in a safe manner,” he said.

Uber is providing a promotional code for students during the week, Diamond said, to ensure students can travel to and from events such as the concert and the race in a safe manner. He said the code #Little500 will give users $25 off their first ride.

Freshman Alexis Fleming said she is particularly excited to enjoy the concert with her friends. She said the concert acts as a staple of Little 500 week for those students who cannot attend the race.

“I think it really, like, tops it off,” she said. “I don’t have particularly good seats, but I know in all it’ll be a good experience and a good start to the weekend.”

IU Auditorium doors open at 7 p.m., and the concert will begin at 8 p.m.