Assembly Hall groundbreaking ceremony to take place Tuesday

Since opening in 1971, Assembly Hall has seen more than 12 million fans come through its doors. That kind of traffic puts some significant wear and tear on a building.

So a $40 million renovation project — funded by Cynthia “Cindy” Simon Skjodt — will rejuvenate what has been called the most intimidating home court in college basketball. Work on that renovation began with a groundbreaking ceremony at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Athletics Director Fred Glass announced .

“I am thrilled that this project will preserve the best home court advantage in college basketball while also greatly enhancing the total game day experience for every fan, pay, coach and visitor,” Glass said in a release.

Construction will be focused on the building’s south side, with a new entrance and foyer the first task. Funded by prominent Bloomington lawyer Ken Nunn, the $2 million Ken Nunn Champions Plaza will feature a glass atrium, new sidewalks and walkways and new landscaping.

Multimedia displays, new seating and escalators will also feature around the south entrance. Renovations to the rest of Assembly Hall such as accessibility, a new video board, rebuilt concourses and restrooms and modernized concession stands will be included in the project.

The renovations are expected to be complete by fall 2016.

Alden Woods