Amplify wins IUSA election based on preliminary results

Amplify for IUSA won the IU Student Association election based on preliminary results after polling stations closed at ?5:30 p.m. and online voting ended at 10 p.m. Thursday.

Amplify for IUSA garnered 3,574 votes, according to Election Commissioner Aparna Srinath. INtouch for IUSA came in second with 2,697 votes and Unify for IUSA came in third with ?1,994 votes.

The IUSA election commission and Supreme Court, however, must still review all complaints regarding potential infractions.

As of Thursday, tickets had already filed 13 complaints: seven against Amplify for IUSA, five against INtouch for IUSA and one against Unify for IUSA.

Tickets may file complaints regarding potential infractions through an online submission form by 4 p.m. Friday. Srinath said she expects tickets to file more complaints.

Upon receiving a complaint, the election commission distributes a copy of the complaint to the IUSA Supreme Court and the IU director of student life and learning, and posts a copy of the complaint outside the IUSA office, according the election code.

Upon accepting a complaint, the election commission evaluates the infraction according to a predetermined list.

The predetermined list will then outline several infractions and their corresponding percentage-based loss of votes. The percentage-based loss of votes will be proportional to the severity of the infraction.

Nick Laszlo, Amplify for ?IUSA’s presidential candidate, said after a campaign season full of pressure and stress, members of his ticket are happy they pulled off an unofficial win.

“I think all of the tickets had a dedicated team and all of the tickets had good ideas, but I think we’re the team that stuck together the most through ?thick and thin.”

The current administration will leave office April 16, at which point, Laszlo said, members of his ticket will begin filling staff and preparing policy.

The official results, as well as further coverage of complaints and ticket reactions, can be read in a follow-up story in Monday’s ?Indiana Daily Student.