Woman arrested for allegedly giving marijuana to a minor

Christie M. Arwine, 25, of Bloomington was arrested Friday night on preliminary charges of maintaining a common nuisance, possession of marijuana, dealing in marijuana and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to a Bloomington Police Department arrest report.

Officer Benjamin Burns was advised by another officer that a small truck was traveling on Indiana State Road 37 without its headlights on, ?Sgt. Jim Batcho said.

Officer Burns made a traffic stop on the vehicle, an old gray Dodge Dakota, around the intersection of West Tapp Road and South Adams Street.

When he approached the driver’s side door, Burns reportedly smelled an odor of marijuana emitting from the vehicle, and he observed the vehicle had false and fictitious plates, Batcho said.

Burns identified Arwine as the driver.

Arwine’s 14-year-old male cousin and her infant daughter were also in the vehicle.

Arwine said the vehicle was her uncle’s. Burns found marijuana in Arwine’s makeup bag, and Arwine said she supplied her cousin with marijuana, according to the report.

Arwine was handcuffed and placed under arrest, according to the report.

She said she couldn’t go to jail because she had a baby, Batcho said.

Arwine said she had nothing else illegal in her vehicle, but that she had contraband in her underwear.

Officer Burns transported Arwine to the Monroe County Jail and requested a female jail staffer to remove the contraband in a private room.

The female jail staffer discovered a plastic bag with a green, leafy substance believed to be marijuana in Arwine’s underwear.

It was a larger quantity than the amount in her makeup bag.

Officers made arrangements for Arwine’s mother to pick up the children, and the Department of Child Services was contacted per BPD policy, Batcho said.