Turnovers allow Rutgers to run past IU

Sophomore guard Alexis Gassion lunges for the ball during IU's game at Rutgers on Sunday. IU lost 71-60.

Rutgers didn’t make 3-pointers or get to the free-throw line very often.

Nor did the No. 20 Scarlet Knights block a ton of shots or dominate the boards. against the Hoosiers.

What Rutgers did do in the 71-60 win Sunday against IU (14-15, 4-14) was take advantage of IU’s mistakes, and Rutgers did it quickly.

IU turned the ball over 19 times on 15 steals, and the Scarlet Knights would launch a fast break attack to go with each one.

After the game, IU Assistant Coach Todd Starkey said IU executed the defensive game plan but allowed Rutgers to score in transition.

“They are like track athletes,” Starkey said. “They get out and run on you.”

With sophomore center Jenn Anderson out and freshman forward Amanda Cahill in early foul trouble, the Hoosiers were forced to play with more perimeter players than it was used to doing.

The goal was to try to use that to their advantage.

“We wanted to spread the floor out a little but more, but unfortunately we turned it over too many times,” IU Coach Teri Moren said.

Coming into Sunday, Rutgers’ opponents averaged 19.3 turnovers per game and the Scarlet Knights forced 38 turnovers against Penn State on Jan. 10. Their 10.4 steals per game ranked third in the Big Ten. this season. When these turnovers occurred Sunday, Rutgers didn’t waste the opportunities.

It dictated the tempo and pushed the ball up court for some easy fast break buckets.

IU allowed 19 points off turnovers and 18 fast break points.

There was rarely an IU defender back in transition and Rutgers tended to have multiple players on the run.

The Scarlet Knights made only one 3-pointer and got to the line 11 times, making only six. The rebounding battle was even at 35 each, and Moren said she was proud of the team’s effort. It was the turnovers that were problematic for IU.

“We allowed them to have some run outs based on our turnovers,” Moren said. “And that got the crowd into it.”

Rutgers led 30-26 at the half but quickly took control in the second half.

Some last-minute Hoosier points brought the difference within 11, but Rutgers led by 19 with four minutes remaining. IU was able to stay close early thanks to its five 3-pointers on 13 attempts. But it shot 2-of-11 in the second, and it took 13 minutes to make one.

“There was a stretch there in the second half where we seemed disengaged,” Moren said.