The Venue to host award-winning artist

The Venue, Fine Arts and Gifts will host a reception for acclaimed artist Mark Blaneyat 6 p.m. today in honor of the premiere of his exhibit displaying his latest works.

The exhibit will feature Blaney’s paintings, drawings, watercolors, small sculptures and a mobile, according to a press release.

“They’re mostly water colors in this collection,” Blaney said. “There are a few oils but mostly small-framed water colors. They are studies from nature, some directly from nature and some from my imagination.”

Blaney’s style portrays post-modern impressionism and is inspired by artists such as Gauguin and Degas. For these nature scenes in particular, Blaney said he was inspired by sunlight.

“My inspiration is being able to capture some times in nature where sunlight creates interesting patterns or moments, as if you were just surprised by views of nature,” he said. “It’s like going for a walk and turning around a bend and all of a sudden you see something that you wish you could have. Drawing has always been that for me. I like photography, but the act of drawing helps me to keep my eye on what I’m seeing longer.”

Blaney said drawing not only allows him to create something beautiful for others to enjoy but also serves as a portrait of his life.

“It becomes a little bit more personal, like a personal journal,” he said. “That’s the way I treat my art. It’s like a journal of my time here on the earth.”

With a father who was a painter and a commercial artist, Blaney was exposed to art early in his life. He said his father took him to see world-class art in museums starting at a young age.

“When I realized that adults were making these things and it was actually an occupation, that you could make things for a living, it flipped a switch in my brain,” he said. “I thought, that’s what I want to do.”

Aside from his personal works shown in galleries and exhibits, Blaney also does commission work for universities and theater productions. He said he brings much of the aesthetic and inspiration from his sketches and personal pieces into the projects he is commissioned.

“I love the opportunity to do commission work from my own ideas,” Blaney said. “I very seldom have to do something that someone prescribes for me. I’ve been lucky enough to design and execute my own ideas for these places.”

Blaney said he uses his drawings and collection of studies as a starting point for these commissioned projects, picking out ideas he wants to see fleshed out on a bigger scale. He described them as being an extension of his personal work.

Even with a long, successful career, Blaney said he still pushes himself to grow and seek new inspiration and advises young artists to do the same.

“I’m facing that challenge even yet today,” he said. “Walk into your work area and be ready to top every other project that you might have going, and then let that inspiration or that enthusiasm come to the surface. It’s not my quote, but show up in the area that you’ve left work in development, and generally if the inspiration was true, there’s a spark left from the last place you left.”

The Venue will provide refreshments as a part of the reception and will also have its own collection of fine art and gifts on display for both viewing and purchase.

Blaney’s exhibit will run at The Venue through March 19. For more on Blaney and his artwork, visit markblaneyart.com.