weekend

The Queens of Darkness conquer Storybrooke

‘Once Upon a Time’

A-

Ursula. Cruella. Maleficent. Oh my.

The three Disney villains are the new bad guys of “Once Upon a Time” in the latter half of the show’s fourth season.

Together, they are the Queens of Darkness.

They are led in their sinister schemes by Rumplestiltskin, who seeks to return to Storybrooke after Belle showed him who actually wields the dagger in the relationship and forced him to leave town.

In cliché villain fashion, Rumple is tired of the heroes standing in the way of his happy ending. He enlists the help of the Queens of Darkness by promising them his plan will be mutually beneficial.

Villains and happy endings look to be themes of the spring episodes.

Regina longs for her happily ever after as well. After saving Robin’s wife — who was supposed to be dead anyway — she has to give him up. She did the hero thing, and she still has to be unhappy.

But, whatever. She’s not bitter.

In fact, it doesn’t discourage her from continuing to fight with the heroes when new evils plague Storybrooke, as they always do when new villains come to town.

The Queens of Darkness certainly make an odd bunch. Though their formation is explained in a believable way, their roles as formidable villains — especially against magical foes — is questionable.

Maleficent is a force to be reckoned with. Her potential for destruction was made apparent in the first season. Accordingly, she is acknowledged as the darkest of the three of them.

When Ursula made a brief appearance last season, though, I thought she would stay under the sea. Though “Once Upon a Time” often gives characters more power than their Disney counterparts, it doesn’t make sense that one who lives in the water would stay landlocked for so long.

Cruella’s role makes the least sense. Her Disney character does not have any powers, besides dog catching, maybe. In the TV show, she basically has super breath.

The villain lineup seems a bit spotty to me, then.

Aside from the character choices, however, the character development is promising for the rest of the season.

Characters who were heroes before might have the potential for evil. Characters who were villains before might finally deserve happiness. Previously hidden secrets might reveal darker histories than once assumed.

All in all, the return of the fourth season set the stage for a game-changing finish. Where characters’ morals were tested before, now their identities are being challenged.

Who is a hero? Who is a villain? The show continues to dance around that ever-finer line between good and evil.

Viewers are in for another season of the twisted Disney stories that define the show.