Students represent IU in Israel alternative break

A group of individuals traveled to Israel to represent IU in the Jewish National Fund alternative spring break trip.

Looking for a way to give back to the land, a group of five individuals, as part of a 42-participant trip, traveled to Israel to represent IU in the Jewish National Fund alternative spring break trip.

“I wanted to have a meaningful spring break,” said IU sophomore Elli Bock, a participant in the program. “In college everything is such in a bubble, there is an entire world outside this.”

JNF is a global organization that started in 1901 with the goal to re-establish a homeland in Israel for Jewish people everywhere in an eco-friendly, sustainable manner. Since then, this dream has formed a large reality.

JNF has made a positive change on the country through activities such as greening the desert with millions of trees, building thousands of parks, creating new communities and cities, bolstering Israel’s water supply and educating both young and old about the founding and importance of Israel.

Each day of the trip is broken down into a different project. One of the favorite projects of the IU participants was building an outdoor classroom for a boarding school in a small town in the middle of the Negev desert, Halutza. With a population of only about 50 families, the town has grown significantly since its creation about ?15 years ago.

“It started out of nothing, and we got to see the end product,” Bock said.

The program is developed in order to allow participants to make a personal contribution in Israel.

JNF mainly focuses on key sustainable development programs in Israel while allowing participants to create a deep connection with the land of Israel. Using an online program to communicate with family and friends, participants are responsible for raising a minimum of $1,500 for the trip. All money raised will go toward JNF’s Blueprint Negev campaign if traveling to the South of Israel and to Operation Carmel Renewal if traveling to the North of Israel.

Blueprint Negev supports Israel’s newest generation of innovators in developing, inhabiting and preserving the Negev Desert, while Operation ?Carmel Renewal helps ?rebuild Northern Israel from the devastating December 2010 fire. Both trips include opportunities that allow participants to get their hands dirty and help out, meet people who are changing the world and reflect on the Jewish service experience, according to JNF’s website.

The IU participants focused on the South.

Once the money is raised, the program is considered free of charge. The actual cost of the program is covered by other JNF donors.

The IU team, headed by University captain and IU student Julia Laibstain, is ranked No. 3 of the all the participating universities in the country, with a total of $8,525.13 from this past trip.

“Due to my passion for Israel and community this seemed the best way to reconnect with my homeland,” Laibstain said. “We as IU received pride as being recognized as the third-highest contributing team.”

In order to encourage fundraising efforts, JNF sets up different incentives corresponding to how much money is raised past the minimum $1,500 amount for the program. Various items of alternative spring break apparel are awarded at certain amount points and the largest incentive is permanent recognition in Israel once at least $5,400 is raised.

“I wanted to take a step back and refresh my perspective on the world,” Bock said.