politics

Student group to advise Ritz

The first meeting of the Indiana Department of Education’s Student Advisory Council was hosted Thursday at the Indiana Statehouse by State Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz.

The council includes nine high school students who represent each of the nine congressional districts in Indiana and one other student who is selected to serve as an at-large ?representative.

Ritz serves as the eleventh member of the council.

“I am excited to announce the formation of Indiana’s first Student Advisory Council,” Ritz said in a press release. “Student Advisory Council members will provide valuable input to the Department as we work to improve the state of the classroom in Indiana. I am pleased to welcome this diverse and talented group of student leaders to discuss issues that directly impact them in their classrooms.”

Members of the council consider matters concerning education at the local, state and national levels, make proposals and recommendations to the Indiana Department of Education and provide suggestions to improve the quality of education throughout Indiana.

High school students were nominated by their principals to apply to the SAC, and staff members from the Department of Education reviewed application essays submitted by each student.

“I’ve always been really passionate about public education,” District 6 student representative Cole Byram said, according to the press release. “I am hopeful that the student opinions that were shared at the meeting will help influence future legislation and the direction of Indiana’s education system.”

District 9, which includes Bloomington and Monroe County, is represented by Brandon Roberson, a high school student from New Albany High School in ?New Albany, Ind.

The 9th congressional district is currently represented by Republican and U.S. Rep. Todd Young.