Robinson to transfer, seek more playing time

Sophomore guard Stan Robinson goes for two during IU's game against North Carolina-Greensboro on Friday at Assembly Hall.

IU sophomore guard Stanford Robinson will transfer from IU to seek more playing time elsewhere, IU Coach Tom Crean announced Wednesday.

The news was first reported by CBS’ Jon Rothstein.

“I am grateful to Coach Crean, the assistant coaches and staff and my teammates for helping me become a better man,” Robinson said via release. “I hope to find something that is closer to family and where I can have more of an impact on the court.”

Robinson’s playing time and production diminished in his second season with the program, which began with a four-game suspension for a positive drug test over the summer after being caught by state excise police in April for trying to use a fake ID to get into a Bloomington bar.

His scoring, rebounding and shooting percentage dipped in his second season with IU. His 16.9 minutes per game he averaged as a freshman dropped to 11.4 as a sophomore.

“I respect Stan’s desire to contribute more on the court and understand that the opportunity to play closer to your family is something he would like to have happen,” Crean said via release. “I think he has grown a great deal and matured in the two years he has been a part of the program and I hope he takes his experiences at Indiana University to remind him of what he can accomplish not only as a basketball player, but as a human being.”

Robinson initially shot down speculation that he would leave immediately after IU lost to Wichita State in the NCAA Tournament last Friday, but that apparently changed in the time since then.

Robinson’s transfer opens up one of two necessary scholarships for next season, with forwards Juwan Morgan and OG Anunoby set to join IU next year.

“I’ve loved everything about being at IU and am thankful for the support of Hoosier Nation,” Robinson said.