sports softball

IU wins Game 2 with comeback finish

Late comebacks can be commonplace during the month of March Madness. Not basketball however, this thrilling finish took place on a softball diamond on which the Hoosier softball team rallied from seven runs down to take the game 8-7 against Rutgers.

The Scarlet Knights came out swinging, scoring a run in the second inning before plating four more on three RBI singles in the third inning to take a commanding and early 5-0 lead.

The Scarlet Knights would later add two more runs in the top of the fifth inning on a pair of solo home runs to extend their lead to 7-0.

The game looked to be all but over until IU had other plans. Finding themselves in a seven run hole, the Hoosiers hit four straight singles to begin the fifth inning, including RBI singles from freshman Rebecca Blitz and senior Brianna Meyer. The Hoosiers threatened throughout the tinning but would only pick up one more run on an RBI single from senior Shannon Cawley.

The next inning the Hoosiers would cut the deficit down to 7-5 after IU scored on a Rutgers error and an RBI single from Meyer.

In the last frame, the first three batters loaded the bases. Then freshman Taylor Uden was hit by a pitch to bring in the first run and a Blitz walk tied the game up at seven a piece.

Sophomore Erin Lehman, who has been on a tear the past few weeks, came up to bat and delivered the winning run on a walk-off RBI single to left field.

Blitz paced the offense for the Hoosiers, going 3-for-4 with two runs and two RBI’s. Meyer, Cawley and freshman Rachel O’Malley also recorded two hits of their own.

Senior Miranda Tamayo picked up her fourth win of the season for the Hoosiers, tossing 4.2 relief innings and giving up just two runs on six hits.

The seven-run come from behind win was the largest comeback since an 11-7 victory last year at Ohio State and ties that game as the biggest comeback in 20 years.

The Hoosiers and Scarlet Knights wrap up their three-game series tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. at Andy Mohr Field.