sports baseball

IU starting to get healthy

IU vs Kentucky

IU has had a successful start to its 2015 season. It won 16 of its first 21 games, including 13 of its past 14, and has done so without its full complement of players.

These players are now starting to get healthy.

Junior opening day starting pitcher Scott Effross missed two of his scheduled starts earlier this season with soreness in his throwing arm.

He returned March 17 — what was essentially a rehab start — to pitch the first inning of IU’s 4-0 win against Valparaiso before being taken out by IU Coach Chris Lemonis.

On Tuesday, in IU’s 3-0 win against Louisville, Effross started, pitching four innings.

“I feel great,” Effross said after his start against Louisville. “I felt good the last couple of weeks, just working back from a little soreness, but I felt great today.”

Effross was given a four-inning limit by Lemonis before the game for precautionary reasons. But in his four innings of work against the Cardinals, Effross looked to be back to his normal self.

He allowed two hits and struck out five Cardinals — four of them looking — thanks to Effross’ slider, which appeared to have the same break and sharpness as it did before his injury, if not more.

Effross is not currently scheduled to pitch this weekend in IU’s three-game series at Iowa. Lemonis announced his Friday and Saturday starters, but did not name a Sunday starter in hopes Effross will be ready to start again.

“I feel great, so whatever the coaches send my way and when they tell me to pitch, I’ll be ready,” Effross said.

Another pitcher set to return soon is junior starter Kyle Hart, who began the 2014 season as IU’s No. 2 starter before needing Tommy John surgery to repair his injured elbow.

After about a year of recovery, Hart had a two-inning start March 11 in IU’s 9-1 win against Eastern Michigan. He pitched two scoreless innings, allowing two hits and striking out two batters.

Lemonis said after IU’s game Tuesday that Hart is another week from returning to the already large staff of capable pitchers.

Hart still isn’t ready for a full start, Lemonis said, meaning the next time he is used in a game, it will likely be similar to his last start against Eastern Michigan or Effross’ start against Louisville.

Two infielders slated to return to the IU lineup this weekend at Iowa are junior opening day starters Brian Wilhite and Nick Ramos.

Ramos, typically IU’s shortstop, last played March 11. Lemonis said he injured his hand in practice before the Cal State Fullerton ?series.

Wilhite’s injury is a little less conventional. Sometime between IU’s series against Cal State Fullerton and its game against Valparaiso, Wilhite was hit in the eye with a whiffle ball, forcing him to miss IU’s past four games.

Lemonis said Wilhite’s recovery is simpler than most.

“We just really told him not to do anything and just sit there,” Lemonis said. “I shook my head when I heard it, too.”