IU goes 1-3 at Citrus Classic

The IU softball team will begin playing in series after completing the Citrus II Classic, its fourth straight tournament.

Despite record-setting games, grand slams, solid pitching and a mercy rule, the Hoosiers were only able to come away with a 1-3 record this weekend in Orlando, Fla.

The first game of the Classic was a rematch of last weekend’s opener against No. 8 Georgia. The Bulldogs put the mercy rule on the Hoosiers in only five innings by a final score of 9-1.

After freshman Mena Fulton, who received more playing time this weekend, hit her first career double, freshman Rebecca Blitz brought her in on an RBI single, which would tie the score at one a piece.

However, the Bulldogs would answer with a solo shot in the third and a two-run spot in the fifth, reclaiming the lead, 4-1.

Despite a solid relief performance from senior Miranda Tamayo — who threw 2 2/3 innings, giving up only two hits — the Hoosiers failed to push another run across the board as the Georgia Bulldogs defeated IU for the second straight week.

Pushing runs across the plate would not be an issue for the Hoosiers in the second game of the doubleheader, as IU would put the mercy rule on the Lehigh Mountain Hawks, 15-7, in six innings.

Blitz hit her first career triple for the Hoosiers, which was part of a two-run first inning. Not shortly after, however, the Mountain Hawks added five runs of their own to take a first-inning 5-2 lead.

From there on out, it was the Kelsey Dotson show. Following a pair of RBI singles from sophomore Erin Lehman and freshman Taylor Uden, the junior would hit her second career grand slam as IU put up a six-run third inning to take the lead 8-5.

Dobson wasn’t done; in her next at bat in the fourth inning, she would go yard again, this time a two-run shot to center field. That home run increased the IU lead to 11-6.

The Hoosiers would end the game in their at bats in the sixth inning, as sophomore CaraMia Tsirigos hit a solo home run, which was later followed by an RBI sacrifice fly from Dotson and a game-ending run on a passed ball to give IU the 15-7 victory.

Dotson’s seven RBIs tied a single-game program record for the Hoosiers, which was earlier held by Monica Armendarez, who also recorded seven RBIs against Michigan State on April 24, 1996.

Senior Lora Olson also picked up her second win of the season in this contest, surrendering just two runs on 10 hits in 5.2 innings pitched.

IU was originally scheduled to play Georgetown and Mississippi State Saturday, but due to rain, a reschedule of games took place and the Hoosiers ended up playing Georgetown and Miami (Ohio) on Sunday.

The Hoosiers dropped their first game on Sunday against Georgetown 7-2 despite two solo home runs from Tsirigos and senior Brianna Meyer.

In the first inning IU allowed four straight singles and committed an error to give Georgetown an early 3-0 lead.

IU squared off against the Miami RedHawks in the Classic finale, which was a pitchers’ duel between the two teams.

Olson had a solid performance, giving up only three runs on six hits in 4 1/3 innings pitched.

However, an unearned run in the first inning and a senior Shannon Cawley home run in the seventh would be the only Hoosier runs scored as IU dropped it’s third game of the weekend, 3-2.

IU will prepare for the Indiana Classic next weekend that includes two two-game series against Austin Peay and Eastern Illinois, followed by a single game against Saint Louis.