IU chemist awarded research fellowship

Kevin Brown has been selected as a Sloan Research Fellow.

IU chemist M. Kevin Brown was awarded a 2015 Sloan Research Fellowship from the Alfred P. Sloan ?Foundation on Feb. 23.

The Sloan fellowships are awarded to scientists in their early careers whose work is indicative of potential to be a next-generation scientific leader, according to an IU press release.

Brown is one of 126 researchers from 57 different colleges and universities around the United States and Canada to receive this fellowship. Each Sloan fellowship recipient is awarded $50,000 to further his or her research.

“The beginning of one’s career is a crucial time in the life of a scientist,” Alfred P. Sloan Foundation President Paul L. Joskow said in a press release. “Building a lab, attracting funding in an increasingly competitive environment and securing tenure all depend on doing innovative, original high-quality work and having that work ?recognized.”

Since the beginning of the Sloan Research Fellowship program, 43 different scientists have gone on to win the Nobel Prize in their respective fields and 65 have received the National Medal of Science, according to the press release.

Brown and his research team are focused on creating chemical reactions that allow for the synthesis of biologically significant molecules, according to the press release.

The fellowships are awarded in eight different fields, including chemistry, computer science, economics, computational and evolutionary molecular biology, mathematics, neuroscience, ocean sciences and physics.

Candidates are nominated by fellow scientists and selected by a panel of senior scholars.

Brown received his bachelor’s degree from Hamilton College and his doctorate from Boston College. He then continued his studies as a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University. He joined the IU Department of Chemistry’s faculty in 2011.