Inside the Tudor Room

Room 169 in the Indiana Memorial Union holds an exquisite space with maroon carpeting, chandeliers and antique tables that catch the eye.

The Tudor Room’s furniture and fixtures, such as the wooden banister pole now made to use as a side table, capture and hold any visitor’s attention. It has an old-age British feel — a bit like Hogwarts, but with a ?modern twist.

As students, faculty and guests enter, they will first notice the table that was bought and donated to the room by late University Chancellor ?Herman B Wells.

Wells had an interest in antiques and planned to have the Tudor Room made in a medieval-like British design, Rob Meyer, assistant director for IMU activities and events, said. Wells wanted a place where University students could learn manners but also where adults and faculty could enjoy themselves.

Meyer said the blueprint was made in 1957, when Wells decided on a name for the space. He chose the Tudor Room because of his love for Tudor architectural design. In 1959, the student Union was remodeled. An east side was added containing The Georgian Room, the hotel and the Tudor Room.

The Tudor Room was built with high ceilings and rich oak panels to provide an open space, according to documents at the IU Archive. Natural light flows in from the tall windows. The red chairs are an exact reproduction of 17th and 18th century pieces.

Completed in 1964, the Coronation Room takes its name from the Coronation Throne in Westminster Abbey. A large, wall-sized painting of a medieval coronation decorates the room, according to documents from the IU Archive.

Meyer said Wells wanted all of the flags from different colleges of IU represented in the room. Later, in 1983, the design was revised. The college flags of the University were represented in the glass windows, as seen ?today. Tapestries were ?added later.

The Tudor Room’s ambiance is not its only allure for visitors—food is also served daily.

Lunch is served from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. weekdays, and a special brunch is served from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sundays. Special events can also be celebrated at the Tudor Room, such as holiday meals.

Meyer said that unlike back in the day when the Tudor Room had a menu to order from, today selections are served only by buffet. Salad, hot vegetables, breads and desserts are served on the weekdays. Carved meats and omelets are added to the list to be served at brunch Sundays.

“The whole environment provides for a great way to have fine dining,” Meyer said.

Meyer said he is interested in the Union’s past and works a lot with the history of the building today.

Everyone can enjoy this tasteful space, and students can receive a discount from 1:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. weekdays.

Reservations are encouraged but not required. Call the Tudor Room at 812-855-9866 or email TudorRm@indiana.edu for more information.