Hundreds gather at scene of quadruple homicide, ask for peace

Some carried photos of loved ones who had been killed; a few cradled palms — remnants of Sunday service — but many more held each other.

Hands linked and arms reached around others' shoulders, voices raised in unison. Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Chief Richard Hite led the crowd in chants as they walked through the streets:

“I don’t know but I’ve been told.”

I don’t know but I’ve been told.

“This violence is gettin' mighty old.”

This violence is gettin' mighty old.

Sunday afternoon, hundreds gathered at Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church in Indianapolis for a peace walk that began on 30th Street and stopped at a house on the 3100 block of North Harding Street. The “Stop the Violence” peace march was organized by the Indianapolis Ten Point Coalition.

Tuesday, four people were killed in the house on North Harding Street: Tiara Turner, 32, Terri Betties, 41, Sherry Taylor, 48, and Davon Whitlock, 18. All were shot multiple times, and investigators in the IMPD do not believe it was a random act, according to an IMPD release.

The procession of community members, church leaders and government officials came to a halt in front of the small tan house on Harding Street where unlit candles, flowers, crosses and stuffed animals already covered the side steps of the house.

“Oh Lord, just like you rescued the children of Israel, oh Father God, rescue the children of this neighborhood,” the Rev. Melvin J. Jackson of the Christian Love Missionary Baptist Church said.

Community leaders encouraged anyone who knew about the attack to come forward. To say something, so something could be done.

The neighborhood wasn’t always like this, Peggy Gamlin, retired business analyst and community member, said. It wasn’t always violent. It used to be a destination spot; a place you wanted to go.

And now the community wants it back.

When founder of Young Men Inc. the Rev. Malachi Walker spoke, he asked for those present to gather the children close. Hands reached out for their daughters and sons, grandchildren and kids of the community.

“Don’t let them go,” Walker said. “Hold on to ‘em. Hold on to ‘em, because too many of our young black boys are being let go now.”

New buildings have gone up in the neighborhood; change has started to take root. But Hite said more than the infrastructure of a community needs to change — the mindset needs to change, too.

“Confession is good for the soul,” he said, “but it also saves lives.”