Former IU coach Miller accepts assistant position with Los Angeles Sparks

Hoosier Hysteria

Curt Miller left his imprint on the IU women’s basketball program. Now, the former IU head coach is moving on to the WNBA to accept an assistant coaching position with the Los Angeles Sparks, the team announced Tuesday.

The Sparks are coached by Brian Agler, the father of former IU guard Taylor Agler, who transferred from the program earlier this month and announced Tuesday she is going to Texas Tech. She came to IU when Miller was the head coach.

“I am very excited to be adding Curt Miller to our coaching staff,” Brian said in a press release. “I’ve known Curt for several years and have great respect for his coaching ability. He has been a proven winner at the collegiate level, he knows how to develop talent and has a great basketball mind. He will help our team immensely and prepare us for competition.”

Miller resigned as IU’s coach July 25, 2014, due to personal health and family reasons. He has not spoken publicly about his situation since. He coached IU for two seasons, taking the Hoosiers from an 11-19 record in year one to a 21-13 record and No. 22 ranking in his second season.

“I am extremely excited about the opportunity to serve as an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Sparks,” Miller said.

“The chance to join Coach Brian Agler, the all-time winningest coach in women’s professional basketball, was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. I would also like to thank Penny Toler and the ownership group for their belief that I can be a valuable part of the team and help position ourselves for ?championships.”

Brian said he has had a relationship with Miller well before Miller began recruiting Taylor. He had attended practices in Miller’s days at Bowling Green.

He appreciated his offensive mindset and usage of the pick and roll.

“I think he does a great job of developing players, I think he has a great basketball mind and that’s why I had interest in hiring him,” Brian said.

He also said he does not see how Miller coaching his daughter would have any effect on the way they work together.

He didn’t even talk to Miller during Taylor’s freshman season when he was the coach at IU.

Brian confirmed to the IDS on March 13 that Miller was a candidate for the Sparks job.

IU Coach Teri Moren took Miller’s position in August and went 15-16 in her first season. Since the end of the season, four players have requested their release from the program: Taylor Agler, Larryn Brooks, Maura Muensterman and Liz Stratman. All of these players came to IU to play for Miller.