Escape the cold with homemade sangria

IDS Arts Editor, Audrey Perkins demonstrates how to make sangria in her weekly video recipe.

Classic sangria comes from Spain and mixes red wine, fresh fruit, sugar and brandy. This recipe is typically made in the summer because it is served cold or room temperature, but sangria can be made with winter-seasonal fruits and spices.

Additionally, this recipe switches out brandy for spiced rum for a more accessible alternative.

The key to this recipe is using sweet, acidic fruits to balance out the bitterness of dry wine.

To suit different tastes, alter the types of fruits used. For a sweeter mix, add more apple and include pear in the mix.

Unlike the half recipe used in this week’s food video that can be found on the Indiana Daily Student’s YouTube account, this is the whole recipe.

Ingredients:

• 1 bottle dry red wine
  • 1 blood orange, chopped into centimeter-sized chunks. A generic orange can also be used.
  • ½ lemon, sliced
  • juice of one half a lemon
  • 1 golden delicious apple, cut into centimeter-sized chunks.
  • 1 cup strawberries, cut into centimeter-sized chunks
  • 2 shots spiced rum
  • 4-5 tablespoons sugar, this is flexible to your taste

Directions

1. Mix the lemon juice with the chopped apple and stir. Set aside.

2. Mix the rum with the strawberries and stir. Set aside.

3. Pour the apple mix and the strawberry mix into the pitcher. Add the rest of the fruit and sugar. Using a wooden spoon, crush the fruit until it starts to release juice and the flesh breaks down. Stir the mix until the sugar dissolves.

4. Add the wine, stir well. Set aside for at least an hour to let the fruit soak and wine infuse. 

5. Serve room temperature or cold with the marinated fruit.