COLUMN: Spring football means a return of injured players

IU vs Iowa

When discussing IU football, people talk about how to replace Tevin Coleman.

The 6-foot-1 running back out of Tinley Park, Ill., who ran for more than 2,000 yards.

The thing with spring football is the players departing are no longer relevant, and the incoming freshmen are not yet in the picture. Though known commodities are simply not as interesting to speculate about, the fun part might be who is returning from injury.

Oh, that’s right, Nate Sudfeld will be coming back.

When the senior quarterback injured his nonthrowing shoulder in the first half of an October game against Iowa, the Hoosiers’ bowl hopes dissipated. They lost their next six games and finished the season 4-8.

Sudfeld will be limited in spring practice, but as IU Coach Kevin Wilson said in January, things might not be all that different as long as quarterbacks have the blue no-contact jersey on. Wilson said his throwing motion has not been hindered by rehab, but we’ll see for ourselves at the Cream and Crimson game April 18.

It is no secret the offense faltered once Sudfeld and Covington went down and defenses were able to load the box to focus on the run game. It will be interesting to watch how the offense flows with Sudfeld back in the fold.

Oh, that’s right, sophomore Chris Covington will be back, too.

The Chicago native quarterback was expected to take over for Sudfeld last season, until it was revealed Convington tore his ACL that same weekend. He will also be available for spring practice but under similar constraints as Sudfeld.

It was actually announced Thursday that Covington will be switching to linebacker. He was initially recruited to play linebacker, and he will be moving back to defense now that there is more depth at quarterback. He is a great athlete who is well built and has the potential to do well as a potential pass rusher. 

Speaking of knee injuries, Marcus Oliver could be ?returning.

Oliver is a sophomore linebacker who was granted a medical redshirt after suffering a season-ending knee injury in the upset win against Missouri. He has a bright future and is a candidate to fill David Cooper’s shoes as the leader of the linebacking corps. He had 37 tackles as a true freshman in 2013 and forced a fumble to go with his nine tackles against Bowling Green ?in 2014.

It will be interesting to see if or how Oliver returns this spring. He, junior T.J. Simmons and sophomore Tegray Scales could anchor a very talented inside of the Hoosier defense if Oliver is good to go. The front seven is rarely a concern of mine — I tend to worry more about the secondary.

Secondary, you say? Oh, yeah, Kenny Mullen might be returning.

Like Oliver, Mullen also missed the rest of the season with a knee injury suffered against Missouri. Cornerback might be the weakest spot on the team, and any experience is helpful. There are some good freshman hopefuls, but they are not around yet. Mullen is now the elder statesman of the lineup, and it will be good to see how he looks.

Though the departures are gone and the future freshmen are not here yet, the players returning from injury might be the most interesting aspect of spring football.