Campus dining transitions, accommodates tastes

RPS currently has a dining option, the Campus Cafe, on the main floor of Wells Library and will be introducing new options for next year. - CAMPUS PLS FACT CHECK THIS

Beyond the removal of Chick-fil-A from the Cyber Café in the Herman B Wells Library, select Residential Programs and Services Dining cafés and dining facilities are set to change in the coming fall semester.

Rachel Noirot, the dietitian for RPS Dining, said the ultimate goal of the transition in dining options is to keep up with the tastes of students.

“We do a lot of things that other people don’t do,” ?she said.

Because of the recent success of the renovations in Read dining court and the “cutting-edge” Woodland microrestaurant design, Noirot said IU’s dining program is continuing work to stay competitive with Big Ten schools.

“We can stay competitive as one of the top dining programs in the country just because we can do new things,” she said.

Noirot said that makes room for more dining ?options.

RPS Dining is in ?transition from their Sbarro contract and developing an original Italian cuisine concept, Noirot said. She said a committee of students tasted the recipes Chef Darren Worth tested and will give feedback so he may finalize them within the coming weeks.

She said they tested entrée dishes, including chicken, salmon and pasta, as well as a salad and breadsticks.

Freshman Abby Becher said she did not like the Sbarro chain. As a resident of Wright Quad, she said she is looking forward to something different to comply with her tastes.

“I am a really picky eater,” she said. She said she looks forward to seeing new Italian options, especially for pasta.

The Cyber Café will be taken over by RPS Dining as well, Noirot said. The construction will begin early June, she said, and the opening date is tentatively set for Nov. 3.

Noirot said the University wanted a strong food chain to be present in the Cyber Café, and contracts are in the works.

The renovated café will include a coffee and tea option, ice cream and gelato option and an ethnic concept, which will rotate through cultural menus, including Thai and Korean cuisine, Noirot said.

Becher said she would enjoy more cultural options featured in the Cyber Café.

“Other options right across the street would be really nice,” she said.

Although Wright Food Court includes Mexican cuisine and stir-fry, Becher said she wants something more authentic.

Additionally, Noirot said there will be a panini place in the café, and recipes are still being developed for ?its menu.

The final restaurant in the café might include vegetarian or breakfast options, ?she said.

Because of their new involvement with the Cyber Café, Noirot said students should be able to use RPS meal points there when it reopens in November.

“I’d rather use my I-Bucks than pay cash since I’m already paying for them,” Becher said.

Plans are in place to open a new Bloomingberry, a ?frozen yogurt option currently featured in the Restaurants at Woodland, Noirot said. She said this would take the place of the Crimson Creamery at Gresham, which serves ice cream.

Noirot said the decision to replace the Creamery had to do with the numbers of students it attracted.

“We wanted to put ?another Bloomingberry somewhere,” Noirot said. “Kids really like the ice cream place, we just never have it open for very long.”

Becher said she sees the possible attraction of the new Bloomingberry ?location.

“I feel like frozen yogurt is really popular now, so I feel like right now it could be really prosperous,” she said.

Noirot said she expects an overall positive student response to dining changes.

“I think they’ll be really thankful to have new things,” she said. “They will want to eat on campus.”