academics & research

Award-winning poet to research at IU

IU announced Thursday that award-winning poet Katie Lilley will be the first recipient of the United States Studies Centre-Indiana University Creative Arts Fellowship.

Lilley will conduct research at the Lilly Library and the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction during the 2015 fall semester, according to an IU press release.

“Both have fantastically interesting and poetically suggestive collections that are perfect for the kind of research-led creative writing I do, and my main areas of interest: early modern and modern poetry, and the history of gender and sexuality,” Lilley said in the press release.

Specifically, she will be focusing on the work of Mary Ellen Solt, who taught comparative literature at IU and directed the Polish Studies Center. Her work is archived at the Lilly Library.

“Solt is an important and critically neglected concrete poet and scholar of modern poetry,” Lilley said in the press release.

Lilley also plans to finish her current book of poetry, “Realia,” present new research, participate in various seminars and deliver poetry readings while at IU, according to the release.

The Creative Arts Fellowship came as a result of a partnership between IU and the University of Sydney. It was also made possible by a donation from Michael Thawley, Australia’s secretary of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.

“This collaboration with the University of Sydney and its United States Studies Centre, one of the leading international institutions for the study of the U.S., is a profound example of Indiana University’s global engagement,” IU President Michael McRobbie said. “We at Indiana University are eager to welcome Kate Lilley to campus, and we are much indebted to Michael Thawley for the generous gift that makes this fellowship possible.”

Lilley was selected from a strong pool of applicants from around the country, according to the press release. Lilley is an English professor at the University of Sydney as well as an award-winning poet. She published her first piece of poetry at the age of 15.

“Professor Lilley is a perfect fit for our campus, and I am delighted she will be the first recipient of this international fellowship in the creative arts,” IU Provost Lauren Robel said in the press release.

“Our bicentennial strategic plan envisioned enhanced opportunities for campus-wide artist-in-residence programs, and this wonderful gift comes at a particularly opportune moment. I am deeply grateful to Michael Thawley for supporting this outstanding ?fellowship.”