Recreation sports celebrates EveryBODY Week

If you’re anything like me, physically getting yourself to the gym is one of the hardest parts of working out.

I set aside time to hit the gym as often as I can, but once that time comes around, I try to trick my mind into doing something else, such as thinking I have to complete the homework I’ve been trying to work at for hours or that the certain relative I’ve been forgetting to call needs to be updated, right now.

This week, however, I was really happy I made it to the Student Recreational Sports Center and saw its efforts to promote its positive body image campaign, ?Celebrate EveryBODY Week.

CEBW is a weeklong campaign run by Recreational Sports focused on “increasing mindfulness and creating positive messaging related to body image awareness,” according to the department’s ?website.

Throughout the week, the SRSC is hosting free activities centered on loving yourself, such as “Rock What You’ve Got Hip Hop session” and “Pedal for Positivity CycleFit.”

The most noticeable changes to the SRSC are the purple streamers and self-love posters hung on the ceilings and walls, which in itself takes away the monotony of going to a ?usually-static gym.

When I hopped on my elliptical to complete a routine and tedious cardio workout, I was taken by surprise to see a cute purple bar taped to the top of the machine that ?simply said, “You are ?beautiful!”

I then noticed that every machine in the upstairs cardio room had a purple bar attached to it, but each had a different inspirational quote or positive saying.

That in itself was enough motivation to get the workout done, but with a much more positive mindset than I had started with.

In accordance with Celebrate EveryBODY week, there has been a daily hashtag to get people personally involved in the campaign.

Starting with #MirrorPicMonday, and #LikeAGirl on Tuesday, where students could post why they’re proud to do the things they do “like a girl.”

Students also got to promote their photos with #WCW and #ThankfulThursday, a tag students can use while wearing purple to ?promote positive body ?image.

The reason I believe this is such an effective program for college students to participate in is the fact that body image has the potential to plummet in the years where you’re set on your own and have to cook, exercise and maintain good grades all on your own time.

Eating unhealthy foods becomes a habit when you’re pressed for time and they’re the first thing ?available to you.

Additionally, the Recreational Sports department is conquering a huge issue head-on: If poor body image goes untreated, it can lead to more serious issues like eating disorders and ?depression.

Celebrate EveryBODY week gives students a reason to take a step back and appreciate themselves for who they are, all while encouraging them to maintain a healthy lifestyle and continue on a path of ?worthwhile living.

If it were up to me, I would implement more programs like this because of how positive they make the SRSC’s atmosphere and how great they make people feel in the process.

But for now, props to the Recreational Sports department for facilitating an effective campaign that stands for such an ?important cause.