Rec Sports promotes healthy body image

This week, IU Recreational Sports will host Celebrate EveryBODY Week at the Student Recreational Sports Center. The program has been going on ?since 2007.

IU Rec Sports is joining Counseling and Psychological Services, Residential Programs and Services and Coalition for Overcoming Problem Eating/Exercise to host this week.

With events Monday through Thursday, the week is aimed at making students aware of resources they can use to confront eating disorders and ?negative body image.

“It is all centered around trying to get people to be comfortable with who they are, inside and outside,” said Andy Fry, the assistant director of Fitness and Wellness.

Celebrate Your Body Day begins Monday with COPE tabling and promoting from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the SRSC Lobby. Later on, there will be a free yoga session at 6 p.m. in the ?SRSC MS1.

On Tuesday, “Tank Yourself” will be from 7 to 8 p.m. in the SRSC Cardio/Circuit Gym. Purple tank tops with backward silver lettering will be given away. Because the theme of the week is “Change the way you see, not the way you look,” the backward lettering on the tank tops causes students to look in the mirror to read the message.

“Rock What You’ve Got,” a hip-hop session, will take place from 8:30 to 9:15 p.m. Wednesday in SRSC MS1.

Lastly, a pedaling session “Pedal for Positivity” will be held from 5:45 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the SRSC CycleFit Studio.

Fry said all of these events will play music with positive body messages to keep participants aware of this week’s goal.

Fry said all of the staff will wear Celebrate EveryBODY Week shirts, and all facilities will promote healthy body image.

“And on top of that, you will see writing on the mirrors and some mirrors covered in the bathroom, some things on our scales that are just promoting healthy body image throughout all of our facilities,” Fry said. “So it’s not just an event where someone will experience that, it’s just even coming in the doors they’ll ?experience it.”

Fry said he thinks this week is important because everyone on IU’s campus knows someone who has struggled with body image or an eating disorder.

“The whole goal is positivity, but it’s shining light on a dark subject,” Fry said. “People aren’t alone in struggling through this and fighting with unhealthy body image.”