Monroe County animal shelter wins fundraising competition

The Monroe County ?Humane Association defeated West Lafayette’s Almost Home Humane Society in a competitive ?fundraiser this weekend.

Donations totaled about $1,200, with Monroe County raising $780.

Everyone wins in this rivalry, though. Donations in Monroe County went toward the spay and neuter assistance fund for the Humane Association, while donations collected in West Lafayette went toward the treatment of flea and heartworm fund for the Almost Home Humane Society.

Rebecca Warren, executive director of MCHA, said it was a “battle of the fans.”

“So if we win, their executive director or communications manager would take a pie in the face,” Warren said before the winners were announced. “If they win, I take a pie in the face. It’s bragging rights and humiliation — it’s a lot of that.”

Liz Stamper, executive director for AHHS, took a pie to the face Friday morning to mark the end of the competition.

“We’re always accepting donations for our animals, and while we came up short for this fundraiser, we always look forward to the different ways we can get others involved in what we do,” Stamper said.

A video of Stamper’s pie in the face can be found on the AHHS Facebook page.

The employees of MCHA also had a friendly competition within its office to help with the fundraiser.

“We can’t say the word P-U-R-D-U-E or else we have to add a quarter to the donation can, and everyone else is already beating me,” Warren said at the start of the fundraiser.

The MCHA’s donation can had close to $100 after the first day of the fundraiser, not including online donations or donations collected from the cans located around the community.

“We’re gonna spend most of tomorrow pushing it before the game starts and collecting the donation cans that are out there,” ?Warren said.

Warren joked about wearing a giant dalmatian costume to bring in last-minute donations before the results were tallied after the game.

AHHS also participated with donation cans around the West Lafayette community and online fundraiser donations.

“We dressed up our dog statue inside the lobby in Purdue gear with hopes that people would fill up his belly with coins and treats for the fundraiser,” ?Stamper said.

MCHA’s $100 was trailing West Lafayette’s $336 until it received a check in its mailbox with “GO HOOSIERS,” written in the memo, which put it back in the competition.

“It doesn’t matter who wins,” Warren said. “Both organizations will win because we will be able to raise a bit more awareness about our cause, get some more donations directed towards our cause and have a little fun with the challenge at the same time.”

MCHA has enough to provide spay and neuter assistance to more than 20 animals in the Bloomington area thanks to its fundraising efforts, Warren said.