Tuesday, March 19

Law school establishes partnership with women's colleges

The IU Maurer School of Law started a mentoring and scholarship program for graduates of five different women’s colleges.

Two graduates from each college that have been admitted to the law school will be offered these benefits, according to an IU press release. The colleges include Bryn Mawr College, Mills College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College and Wellesley College.

The selected students will be granted about 50 percent of annual tuition, amounting from $45,000 to $75,000 over three years, depending on the students’ residency and other factors, according to the release. The students will also be admitted to a formal mentoring program.

“The role of women in the legal profession is more important than ever, and our school has made a major commitment to maintaining a diverse enrollment by recruiting some of the most talented young women in the nation who go on to be leaders in their fields,” Dean Austen Parrish said in the release. “We are privileged to join forces with some of the nation’s most distinguished women’s colleges with the hope that their alumnae will become part of our community.”

Each of the women’s colleges will nominate two graduates from their schools that meet the criteria of the program. Applicants will be admitted starting in the 2015 school year.

In addition to this new partnership, the law school has established over 15 partnerships with other undergraduate institutions across the country, according to the release.

“We are particularly pleased to have Bryn Mawr, Mills, Mount Holyoke, Smith and Wellesley join our scholarship programs, along with schools like Princeton, Dartmouth and Vassar College,” Parrish said in the release. “These are some of the very best schools in the country, with sophisticated and impressive pre-law programs. They have not only led the way in women’s education but are among the most respected for their academic excellence and for educating future leaders.”