sports softball

IU prepares for tournament in Nevada

After a 1-4 start to the season, the Hoosiers look to bounce back this weekend at the Wilson/DeMarini Desert Classic in Henderson, Nev.

Three of the five teams IU plays this weekend have winning records.

In its second tournament of the season, IU Coach Michelle Gardner said the team is feeling better about heading into yet another back-to-back doubleheader start.

“Playing five games in three days is a lot,” Gardner said. “Hopefully this week we are a little more prepared and ready for what’s coming up.“

IU will begin play at 2:15 p.m. Friday against Utah Valley (3-2), who beat the Hoosiers in the Kajikawa Classic, 4-1.

The Hoosiers will then return Friday evening to play UTEP (0-5).

On Satuday, IU will square off against Cal State Northridge at 6:45 p.m. and New Mexico at 9 p.m.

Cal State Northridge is off to its best start in 10 years after going 4-1 in the Kajikawa Classic and beating No. 16 Arizona State. Arizona State beat IU, 10-2.

The Hoosiers will end the tournament Sunday against Utah State (0-4) at noon.

With its first few games in the books, Gardner said her team is feeling confident that it is taking steps in the right direction.

“This team does nothing but get better everyday,” Gardner said. “They are going to make mistakes, but they’re competitive and are also going to make plays.”

Senior Lora Olsen said she has taken notice of IU’s freshmen.

“I think it was made clear that these freshman can play,” Olson said. “These positions are there for the taking, and they are just as good as anybody else out there.”

Freshmen Rebecca Blitz, Taylor Uden and Rachel O’Malley proved to be dangerous assets for Hoosiers by hitting a combined average of .327.

Gardner said IU is ready to take another shot at Utah Valley to open the ?tournament.

Olson said coming away with wins is on the team’s mind this week.

“We just need to stay focused and take it one game at a time,” she said.