BFC tackles Greek life and sexual assault

Monica Dirk, Vice President of Recruitment of the Panhellenic Association at Indiana University speaks during the Bloomington Faculty Council meeting held at Kelley Business School on Monday afternoon. When faculty pointed out that Greek system is reproducing social class, Dirk said, “ We as councilors realize that and are trying to improve that.”

The Bloomington Faculty Council discussed Greek life, sexual assault and online course questionnaires at a meeting Tuesday.

Several members of the IU Greek community educated members of the BFC about the strengths and weaknesses of Greek life.

Currently, 7,200 members fill 73 chapters, up from 4,440 members filling 59 chapters ?in 2004.

The members of the IU Greek community addressed the benefits of Greek life, focusing on academics, ?engagement and diversity.

“At the end of the college experience, Greek students are more likely to say that they would make the decision to choose Indiana all over again,” Monica Dirk, IU vice president of Panhellenic ?recruitment, said.

The members of the IU Greek community also addressed the weaknesses of the community. Four fraternities are currently on disciplinary probation.

Alpha Tau Omega is on disciplinary probation, effective through May 31, 2015, for alcohol use, according to a handout from the meeting.

Delta Kappa Epsilon is under social restrictions, effective through May 31, 2015, and disciplinary probation effective through December 31, 2015, for alcohol use, according to the handout.

Sigma Pi is on disciplinary probation, effective through May 31, 2015, for hazing and alcohol use, according to ?the handout, and Delta Chi is on disciplinary probation, effective through December 31, 2015, for an unsafe environment that resulted in an ?allegation of drugging.

“We recognize these as serious issues,” IU Interfraternity Council President Sam Snemis said. “And serious repercussions can come about.”

IU Chief Policy Officer Jenny Kincaid and IU Title IX Coordinator Emily Springston also updated the BFC on the new Sexual Misconduct Policy, Title IX compliance and Student Welfare Initiative, the topic of a Feb. 6 ?meeting at IU.

Kincaid and Springston particularly addressed the role of employees.

Employees fall under two categories: “responsible employees” and “confidential employees.”

Responsible employees are required to report any information they’ve received about an incident of sexual misconduct. Professors, advisers and coaches, among others, are considered ?responsible employees.

Confidential employees are not required to report any information they’ve received about an incident of sexual misconduct. Mental health counselors and health care professionals are considered confidential employees.

“First and foremost, we reach out to that individual and help make sure that they are okay,” Springston said.

The BFC discussed potential changes to the online course questionnaire policy.

The online survey questionnaire is administered in all courses except for those in which questionnaires must meet national accreditation standards not met by the ?online course questionnaire.

The online course questionnaire includes three categories of questions, defined in the proposed changes to the policy: student-access, promotion and tenure and ?open-ended questions.

The instructor, the unit’s head of teaching and the students would have access to the responses to the student-access questions.

The instructor, the unit’s head of teaching and the department chair or school dean would have access to the responses to the promotion and tenure questions and ?open-ended questions.

Additionally, promotion and tenure committees may use the responses from promotion and tenure committee questions when evaluating candidates though the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and the Education Policy Committee must define the dimension that each promotion and ?tenure question is meant for.

Instructors, departments and schools may add their own multiple-choice and written-response questions. They may also replace the online course questionnaire written-response questions with their own ?written-response questions.

“Our concern was very much clarity of the policy, making it thoughtful and deliberate,” said Ben Robinson, co-chair of the BFC educational policies ?committee.

The BFC has not yet voted on the proposed changes to the policy.