sports field hockey

Amanda Janney looks to build a winning program at IU

photo

Amanda Janney knows how to build a winning ?program.

The new IU field hockey coach understands how to bring in the right kind of ?talent.

“I pride myself on being a recruiter,” Janney said.

IU has not won more than two Big Ten games since 2009 and has hovered around mediocrity over the past five years. Janney’s No. 1 attribute, she said, is recruiting players to change that culture.

“I recruit speed and athleticism,” Janney said. “I like players who hustle and give a second effort.”

One of her best players at Temple last fall, Amber Youtz, told CBS that speed was crucial in her season that included 27 goals and 62 points. In news stories throughout the 2014 season, the team’s speed was often mentioned. Temple rose as high as No. 11 in the national rankings.

“We had success at Temple because we had one of the fastest and fittest teams,” Janney said. “I look for the best athletes with great vision for the field and who are unselfish passers. I look for competitors who fit in with our team culture.”

IU Vice President and Director of Athletics Fred Glass said in Monday’s press release Janney’s recruiting and ability to develop talent was a large part of her success and reputation as a coach.

“We believe we have hired one of the great field hockey coaches in the country,” ?Glass said.

In Janney’s first fall at Temple in 2005, she led the Owls to their first winning season in 13 years and was named Atlantic-10 Co-Coach of ?the Year.

Since then, she coached Temple up from a losing program to one that claims conference titles and 10 straight postseason appearances.

The former Wake Forest player said she enjoys bringing in team players.

The Big Ten was a major factor in bringing Janney over from a stable Temple ?program.

A school like IU provides better facilities and more money dedicated to the field hockey team.

At Temple, field hockey shared Geasey Field Complex with the lacrosse teams.

Janney appreciated that IU has a stadium just for field hockey.

When it comes to taking over IU, Janney said she is ready to implement her style and work with the existing team. She actually recruited a current IU player to come to Temple. Mollie Getzfread played high school field hockey in eastern Pennsylvania but chose to come to IU.

In addition, junior Nicole Volgraf, a Philadelphia native, was a part of the search committee that hired Janney. She said she enjoyed watching her Temple teams play.

IU field hockey will begin spring play March 28 against Ball State.

“I’m excited to get to know the team, get to know the players,” Janney said.