About American exceptionalism

Why is America the greatest country on Earth?

“America isn’t the greatest country in the world,” Jeff Daniels’ character on The Newsroom once said to a room full of college students.

Though initially dodging the question, Daniels, in a moment of candor, answers it and proceeds to list off the reasons why: Mainly, we’re falling behind the rest of the world, and most people can’t even fathom it.

A public figure saying this could be seen as heretical, if not seditious, because, uh, America.

Take Rudy Giuliani. The former mayor of New York City incited a firestorm (and solidified his credentials as a political hack) last week when he questioned President Obama’s love of his country. At issue, according to Giuliani, is that the president has pointed out America’s shortcomings, and, apparently, not told us enough how perfect we are.

Conservatives such as Giuliani seem unable to entertain the idea that if you love something, you strive to make it better. But in order to make something better, you have to acknowledge problems exist. And then you have to try to fix them.

Some people in our country would rather not talk about Abu Ghraib, Newtown or Ferguson because that’s not a pleasant image of America — and yet these are American problems nonetheless.

Every day, the first and last thing I see when I wake up and go to sleep is the American flag hanging above my bed. Because even with all of our faults, I’m incredibly thankful I live in a country that has been an unrivaled world engine of prosperity, opportunity and peace.

But my love of country does not stop me from seeing its problems. It doesn’t blind me, and it shouldn’t blind you, either.

That’s one reason why, along with President Obama, I’m weary of American exceptionalism. I believe the American people are an exceptional people. And we’re exceptional because we strive to be. Too often, however, this word is used to justify inaction and to pretend change is unnecessary. Why, after all, should we strive for better when we’re already the best?

When you start questioning that logic is when your loyalty or love of country starts to be questioned, which is both tragic and nefarious. Sooner or later, exceptionalists might even ask to see your long form birth certificate.

Many conservatives would rather see a Ronald Reagan-type of president kissing flags and preaching to the world the gospel of American perfection instead of a president that acknowledges how we can aim higher. I guess that’s what differentiates liberals and conservatives. We don’t fear the present or the future. We shape it.