weekend

Whites, camera, action

Whites, camera, action

There are two days a year that all movie lovers have marked on their calendars, possibly circled in red pen and more than likely they have programmed reminders of these dates into their phones for the weeks ahead: their moms’ birthday and the Academy Awards.

The Oscars are like Christmas for cinephiles. We spend the entire year scoping out theaters like a kid in a toyshop, looking at the movies we want to watch and the movies we know we need to watch.

And then, we pick our favorites. We pray our parents will buy them, but there are always the ones we know we won’t get but we keep ?hoping for anyway.

The biggest difference between the Oscars and Christmas is that we find out what it is being laid under the tree before the big day.

The release of Oscar nominations can be emotional. It can bring out your self-righteousness, and it can bring out your sore loser. Likely, it will be a mix of both.

But this year, the Oscar nominations drew out a flood of fury.

In the four most crucial Oscar categories — best actor, best actress, best supporting actor and best supporting actress — all of the nominees are white.

The Atlantic found that the four acting categories haven’t been this white since 1995.

The Academy’s mistake was in not nominating “Selma” for any awards other than best picture and best original song.

The hashtag “#OscarsSoWhite” took over Twitter days after nominations were announced, allowing people to express their disappointment with tweets such as, “#OscarsSoWhite they don’t see race. Or movies with black folks in it, apparently.”