Spartan trio did the damage against IU

It took three players to beat IU.

Aerial Powers, Tori Jankoska and Becca Mills.

The three Michigan State players combined for 68 points, 36 rebounds and 15 assists.

IU (12-8, 2-7), as a whole, had 57 points, 38 rebounds and 16 assists in a 72-57 loss to Michigan State (11-10, 3-7) on Wednesday in East Lansing.

Powers, Jankoska and Mills ran the show against IU.

With a score of 49-31 Michigan State and 15:44 remaining in the game, the three had been the only Spartans to score. By the time the game was over, they had all but four of Michigan State’s 72 points.

Jankoska, a guard, finished with 28 points, 11 rebounds and six assists. Powers had a nearly identical stat line, as the only difference was her five assists. Mills, a fellow forward, put forth a modest 12 points and 14 rebounds.

All three had double-doubles.

There was a point in the game where IU went on a 15-3 run and brought the deficit to six points. The Hoosiers had energy and it suddenly appeared that they had made it back into a ball game.

Next thing you know, Powers assisted Jankoska on a layup. Then, Mills assisted Powers on a 3-pointer.

The lead was back up to 11.

Sophomore Karlee McBride made 1-of-2 free throws for IU, but on the next possession, Powers assisted Jankoska for yet another three. Jankoska finished with five 3-pointers on the night.

Michigan State had regained complete control and all three baskets were made and assisted by a member of the trio.

“It seemed like we gained some momentum and gave it back to them,” IU Coach Teri Moren said.

Powers set a Michigan State record with her 17th double-double of the season.

At halftime, Mills had only four points while Powers and Jankoska had a combined 35. Mills went on to score eight quick points in just over four minutes to put herself in the same field as her teammates.

Back on New Year’s Eve, IU defeated a then ranked Michigan State team 70-51. Mills fouled out and only played 21 minutes all game. The removal of her size down low played a part in IU out-rebounding Michigan State 49-31. It opened things up for her matchup, freshman Amanda Cahill, to put up a double-double.

There were no foul troubles for any member of the trio Wednesday. The three of them alone had only two less rebounds than the entire IU team and they outscored IU by 11. Cahill was held to nine points this time and sophomore center Jenn Anderson had seven points and four rebounds.

The Spartans got revenge on their own court and beat IU on the perimeter and inside.

“We need to quit making excuses and find solutions,” Moren said.