weekend

Queens of television

Queens of television

Daenerys Targaryen, “Game of Thrones”

The tale of Daenerys Targaryen begins as a depressing one. She escapes an abusive brother only to gain an abusive husband who she eventually falls in love with but then he dies and she has to find another way to reclaim her rightful place on the Iron Throne. But, man, does she do it with style.

What makes her strong

Did you even read the first paragraph? This girl has survived every curveball life has thrown at her and has managed to build herself along the way. She has freed soldiers and slaves and she has crushed some of the slimiest villains in the seven kingdoms. And, uh, hello, she’s the freaking mother of dragons.

Annalise Keating, “How to Get Away with Murder”

If there is one person who embodies the definition of “fierce,” it’s Annalise Keating. She is not your average criminal justice professor, and she is not here to make nice.

What makes her strong

It’s not easy being Annalise. When she’s not keeping people out of jail, she has a huge group of students to educate, a cheating husband to handle and her own affair to keep in order. She is far from perfect. She is also completely unapologetic about her life choices. She sets high standards, refuses to lower herself and demands respect.

Leslie Knope, “Parks and Recreation”

Leslie Knope is the funniest Parks and Recreation department deputy director you will ever know. She will build you an amazing park while singing some goofy songs and loading you with a lifetime of self-worth.

What makes her strong

Leslie is a hard worker. She has a goal to become the first female president and she will do anything to make it happen, as we have seen in the seven seasons of “Parks and Recreation.” Leslie applies the same determination and work ethic toward her friends, going to great lengths to make them happy. She is caring and compassionate and we are going to deeply miss this queen of television.

Peggy Carter, “Agent Carter”

Agent Peggy Carter gained our respect and admiration in “Captain America” when she put a misogynistic soldier in his place. Now we see her challenging social standards and looking fab in “Agent Carter,” an ABC short series about Agent Carter’s involvement in the creation of S.H.I.E.L.D.

What makes her strong

Agent Carter might dress the part, but she is not your typical 1940s lady. A husband and kids aren’t her No. 1 priority. She’s a little busy saving the world. And while she’s at is, she’s going to change it. Agent Carter has no time for your misogyny, nor will she be shamed for being a woman. She’s going to protect her fellow ladies, and God help any man that tries to stand in her way.

Sophia Burset, “Orange is the New Black”

Oh, Sophia, how lost those other women would be without you. Sophia Burset stole hearts and blew minds on “Orange in the New Black” when she gave her fellow inmates a much-needed lesson in the female anatomy.

What makes her strong

Sophia is a transgender woman who is confident and comfortable in her skin and she’ll be damned if she’s going to let anyone take that from her. And Sophia is always there for her fellow ladies, whether it’s to do their hair, build their confidence or educate them on their own body.

Temperance Brennan, “Bones”

Temperance “Bones” Brennan was a difficult woman to understand in the beginning. Aside from her outrageous intelligence, she was frighteningly cold and seemingly emotionless. But through the years we have seen her defrost into the forensic anthropologist we know and love.

What makes her strong

Bones is smart, like super, scary smart. And she’s not ashamed, embarrassed or modest about it. She sends a clear message that intelligence is something to be proud of and never apologized for. She reeks of confidence and refuses to change her offbeat personality for the comfort of others.