Mother arrested, hospitalized for snorting heroin

Justine N. Smith, 24, was arrested Friday morning for possession of narcotics, a Level 6 felony, and bringing a juvenile to a common nuisance. Sgt. Pam Gladish said the Bloomington Police Department received a probable cause affidavit in reference to a possible overdose of a female.

Smith had gone to a friend’s apartment, where her son and her friend’s children were also present, according to the police report. She went to the bathroom and remained there for a long period of time. Smith told her friend that she snorted heroin. When Smith’s friend later returned to the bathroom, she found Smith unresponsive, so she called 911 and began to perform CPR.

Paramedics arrived on the scene and resuscitated her, according to the ?report.

She was reportedly conscious but not responsive for a brief period of time. Paramedics gave her a shot that counteracts the effects of heroin. Police searched Smith’s person and found a folded piece of aluminum foil with a white substance in her hoodie pocket.

Police read Smith her Miranda rights at the IU Health Bloomington Hospital. She advised officers that she had purchased the heroin from someone in the parking lot of Arlington Park Apartments and with intentions to use it because she had been having a bad day, according to the ?report.