Fraternity house directors connect with members

Chris Drossos, house director of Alpha Tau Omega,  speaks about how he manages the fraternity Monday at the Alpha Tau Omega house. Drossos has been working as a house director for 7 years. He manages the property and maintains house order.

IU fraternity house director Chris Drossos Jr. spoke with a heavy heart as he explained what it was like working with the young men of Sigma Nu Sept. 11, 2001.

Drossos said Sept. 11 was such a profound day for his relationship with the men at Sigma Nu because of how they responded.

“That morning we all sat around the breakfast table watching TV completely in awe, disillusioned that this could be happening here on our soil,” he said. “A lot of the boys wanted to talk about it.”

Drossos has worked with fraternities for more than 20 years. Although he is currently with Alpha Tau Omega, he spent his previous years with Sigma Nu and Acacia.

“College kids always hear their parents talk about the attack on Pearl Harbor or the assassination of JFK, but they had never lived through anything relatable until 9-11 occurred,” he said. “They were full of emotions — anger and shock especially. I was able to relate my experience from the past to similar situations. I tried to reiterate that when you think things are going well, that’s when you are sometimes most vulnerable. But they handled it like adults and with a lot of respect.”

Drossos said the memories made working with young men in fraternities are part of the job as house director. Most fraternities and sororities around campus have a house director — someone who assists with finances, events and other house matters.

Although fun, there are boundaries as to how far the relationship can go, he said.

“They know I have a job to do, and they respect that,” he said. “Fraternity housing managers are just like property managers. When guys do things that are detrimental to the group or building, you have to sit and figure it out. Sometimes you can make a difference, and sometimes you have to pass things to the housing board.”

Beta Theta Pi house director Colleen Bell spoke with joy as she described the influence the Beta men have on her life.

“I’ve loved my job from the day I started it,” she said. “The boys are my life. I get along with them extremely well, and I like to spoil them. It’s almost like I have 100 sons.”

Bell began working at the Beta house as a cook and eventually took over as house director. This is her fourth year on the job.

“It can be very stressful at times,” she said. “They’re boys, they misbehave, but I wouldn’t want to have any other job. They’re very respectful and treat me very well, and we have a really good relationship with each other.”

In many cases, the value of a fraternity house director isn’t truly known until one speaks to the young men working with them. Alpha Epsilon Pi president Mitch Cooper said everything you take for granted at home is what your house director does? for you.

“Our house director, Linda, helps us with our house operations,” Cooper said. “A lot of the things we do cannot be done without her. It’s like having an extra helper for things we need. She’s been doing this for a long time, and whenever we need her she’s there for us.”

Bell said one of her favorite aspects of her job is witnessing the young men she works with grow up into adults.

“It’s a pleasure to see them go from boys to men,” she said. “I get to watch them grow up, and that‘s one of the best benefits of being a house director.”

Drossos agreed.

“The biggest gratification I have is seeing young freshmen come into a fraternity chapter and see how they progress over the years, seeing them grow into outstanding individuals,” he said. “Some never grow up, it’s their nature. But some of them get serious about things. They come out of their experience at college with a positive attitude and a good feeling about their future. I call it ‘getting it.’”

He then shared one of his greatest memories as house director of ATO.

“ATO was struggling as they went through a reorganization of the chapter a few years ago,” he said. “There were a few guys who joined but couldn’t live in the house until their senior year. On their last days of school, they walked around and realized they’d never live there again. When I saw them, I knew they had gotten it. They got what they joined a fraternity for. That was another special moment. It made me feel good to have helped them along ?the way.”