?Alex G to Play at the Bishop

From his bedroom recording studio, Philadelphia singer-songwriter Alex G, has been creating a type of pop-rock music that has gained him a large following on the Internet.

Alex G, or Alexander Giannascoli, will be bringing that music to the Bishop on Sunday night with his ?touring band.

The stop in Bloomington is part of the musician’s brief tour with the Maryland band Teen Suicide.

Local band Champs Élysées is also arranged to be performing Sunday night alongside the other two ?performers.

Alex G has been self-releasing his music through Bandcamp since 2010, but the release of his album “DSU” on the Orchid Tapes label in June 2014 allowed his music to reach wider ?audiences.

Though he officially started recording music at age 12, according to TicketFly, “DSU” was the first of his albums to be professionally mastered and released on a record label.

“On this record, as well as my other stuff, I usually am influenced by my relationships and experiences with people,” Giannascoli said on his ticketing website. “I think plenty of personal obstacles have shaped my music, but nothing I would like to share.”

In the time surrounding its release Alex G was featured in various music magazines like Rolling Stone and the Fader.

In his review of “DSU” for Rolling Stone, Simon Vozick-Levinson compared the 21-year-old singer-songwriter to Elliott Smith and Guided By Voices, but said “the more you listen, the more obvious it is that Alex G is a bright new talent in his own right.”

Following his success with “DSU,” Alex G has had his 2012 albums, “TRICK” and “RULES,” professionally mastered, and they are set for re-release later this year.

Teen Suicide is a lo-fi punk band that broke up in 2012 with the group members going off to play in various other projects, however the group began playing occasional shows again ?last year.

Now, in 2015, they have announced they are officially signing to Run For Cover Records.

Although there are no set plans for the band to release new music, the label will be releasing a remastered version of Teen Suicide’s 2012 debut album, “I Will Be My Own Hell Because There’s a Devil Inside My Body.”

A remastered collection of the band’s extended plays is also in the works.

Local concert promotion group Winspear is responsible for bringing the tour to Bloomington.

Winspear founder Ben Wittkugel said he saw the bands had a free day between their Chicago and Pittsburgh tour dates and reached out about playing at the Bishop.

Wittkugel said he thinks college students will enjoy that all of the band members are young like them.

“He hasn’t played here in Bloomington before and he’s a really good fit for this market,” he said.

Wittkugel said he knows a lot of people are already excited for the show and that it’s always great to see a big crowd gathered for ?a show.

He also said he thinks touring bands are able to draw crowds and get people excited for shows in a way local bands can’t.

“Everyone loves going to house shows, but this is more of an event.” Wittkugel said.