Alpine monsters come to Bloomington for Krampus festivities

Krampus will be coming to Bloomington on Saturday for the Krampus Bazaar and parade.

In Alpine folklore, while St. Nicholas rewards the good children of the world with gifts, the naughty children are punished by the Krampus, beastly monsters who scare them into good behavior.

This year, the Krampus will travel from the Alps to Bloomington to frighten naughty children and adults who brave the parade and Krampus Bazaar Saturday, Krampus Legend and Arts Workshop Director Kel McBride said.

There is a lot of history to the lore, she said.

The Krampus website refers to the character as the “Christmas devil,” the “dark companion of St. Nicholas.”

McBride said she learned about the Krampus for the first time from a friend.

“I thought Bloomington would be a great place to host this tradition,” she said.

Bloomington’s Krampus is one of about 20 others that happen nationwide, she said.

Several of the other events are conducted by groups more focused on German folklore.

Volunteers and Krampus monsters, who McBride said are two very different things, will help run both the Krampus Bazaar ?and parade.

The bazaar is 5:30 to 7 p.m. Saturday in Showers Common. Vendors will sell food and merchandise and performers will roam the streets.

The parade begins at 6 p.m. and travels north from Fourth Street to Showers Common on Madison Street, McBride said.

People of all ages are welcome to participate in the parade, and each will receive either a “nice” or a “naughty” sticker, ?McBride said.

“It’s very family-?friendly,” she said.

Those wearing a “nice” sticker will receive candy and treats from St. Nicholas and his angels, while those wearing a “naughty” sticker will be taunted and teased by the prowling Krampus.

After the festivities have ended, the Krampus will roam free in Bloomington, sneaking up on unsuspecting people out on the town, according to the Krampus website.

“It’s high energy,” McBride said. “It’s wild.”

In 2013, about 1,000 guests attended the festivities despite the 15-degree weather and seven inches of snow on the ground, she said. A similar turnout is expected this year.

People enjoy the accountability of the legend, McBride said. She said it draws them back every year as a Christmas tradition that both teaches good and bad and provides for a fun ?night out.

“People appreciate that philosophy,” she said.

Krampus events will be taking place across the United States this weekend, from Texas to New York.

McBride said the night is fun, engaging and exciting for all ages.

“Many children are delighted by the Krampus,” she said. “It’s a great addition to your traditional Christmas celebration.”