Rahrig goes from nearly giving up football to becoming a scholarship player

Senior center Collin Rahrig waits for a new play during an audible in IU's game against Maryland on Sept. 27 at Memorial Stadium.

Collin Rahrig was done with football.

The fifth-year senior offensive lineman decided he wouldn’t pursue a collegiate career after high school, despite being recruited by a handful of Division II schools.

The high school rugby standout had the physical build of a receiver, not a Division I lineman. He didn’t want to sacrifice the quality of his education for football, so he decided to follow in his older brothers’ footsteps and attend IU, but just as a student.

So he gave up football for good.

Or at least he thought he did.

Five days before the 2010 fall camp began, Rahrig got a phone call from an assistant coach on former-IU Coach Bill Lynch’s staff.

One of Lynch’s linemen was hurt, and the Hoosiers needed a replacement. With the start of the season just days away, Lynch wanted Rahrig as a walk-on.

“I said ‘Sure, why not?’” Rahrig said. “I had no clue that I was even going to play.”

Five years and 38 appearances later, Rahrig has just two games remaining in an IU career he never expected to have.

The undersized walk-on quickly added about 40 pounds and soon found himself a fixture on an IU offensive line that has consistently ranked among the nation’s best since he arrived on campus.

“He’s a little undersized, but he has the heart of a lion,” sophomore lineman Dan Feeney said. “He came in here as a walk-on and fought his nuts off to get where he is, and he’s kept that consistency coming back and fighting. He’s a grinder.”

Rahrig was named Indiana’s 2011 Outstanding Walk-On Player of the Year after redshirting in 2010.

His play has earned him a scholarship each of the past three seasons, where he’s split time playing center and guard.

Last week, Rahrig was named one of 55 finalists for the Burlsworth Trophy, which recognizes collegiate football players who began their careers as a walk-on and has shown outstanding performance on the field.

Despite playing mostly center, IU Coach Kevin Wilson has repeatedly commended Rahrig’s versatility to move to whichever spot on the offensive line he needs him in a given game.

In 2013, Rahrig replaced former-Hoosier Will Matte at center. Matte had started a program-record 45 games at center prior to Rahrig replacing him.

In his place, Rahrig put in a season that earned him a spot on the Rimington Trophy Watch List, which recognizes the nation’s best center.

“He’s awesome off the field, very athletic, very smart,” Wilson said. “He’s an outstanding center. I respect him. I appreciate him. He’s a heck of a player.”

Despite earning national recognition and three scholarships, Feeney said Rahrig has maintained his walk-on mentality.

During his senior season, Rahrig has advised younger players like Feeney to embrace their role and to do their job to help others. As an offensive lineman, recognition is typically sparse, but Rahrig said he takes personal pride when he watches teammates, like junior running back Tevin Coleman, score.

“He has that walk-on mindset and treats every day almost like a gift,” Feeney said. “Everyday you need to come out and earn it. It doesn’t matter scholarship or walk-on. You’re here for a reason. You’re here to fight it out and help this team win.”

Rahrig knows his time left at IU is running out. This weekend, the Hoosiers will play Ohio State before hosting Purdue in the Battle for the Old Oaken Bucket one final time with Rahrig on the line.

After five seasons, 40 games, countless practices and a workload he didn’t expect, Rahrig’s career will come to an end.

“It just kind of shows that with hard work, there is a light at the tunnel where you’ll get some recognition for what you do as long as you work hard and you kind of go through adversity,” Rahrig said.

Five years removed from answering that last-minute phone call, Rahrig is asked if he ever regretted picking up that telephone.

“No,” Rahrig said, laughing. “No, not at all.”