Inspired Crimson Eleven Bucks Buckeyes, 32-10

Transcription:

By Herb Michelson

The heat that the fired-up Fightin’ Hoosiers furnished at the Ohio Stadium horseshoe last Saturday afternoon was torrid enough to cook generous portions of crow, which most of I.U.’s gridiron critics gladly ate.

Many followers hopped back up on Coach Clyde B. Smith's Hoosier bandwagon over the week end. But there are still those who feel that the Hoosier performance against the Bucks was indicative of how "Smitty's" boys should have performed since the season opened. Be that as it may, Hoosier football fans had plenty to be proud about late Saturday afternoon.

The Buckeyes of Ohio State had never taken such a lopsided beating at the hands of the Hoosiers. Wayne Woodrow Hayes' boys never knew what hit them. Every Hoosier who appeared in the tilt played as though his life depended on winning the ball game. Smith's defensive crew permitted the Bucks to move for 279 yards on the ground, but held the fort when the going got rough.

Game of His Life.

Jerry Van Ooyen played the game of his life at a line-backing slot. Johnny Morgan performed like an all-American in his line-backing position. Paul Kobulnicky and Bob Inserra smashed into the Buckeye backfield play after play as though there was gold buried there.

There were other Hoosier linemen like Bill (Swannie) Svyantek, Hany Jagielski, Benny Fioritto, and Nate Bordon who turned in magnificent performances. The offensive line blocked, mousetrapped, and opened holes with agility and crushing power. Whenever a break presented itself, either in the form of a fumble or misdirected aerial, the Hoosiers took advantage of it. Clyde Smith was on the right track when he called the defeat of the Bucks "a team victory."

Buckeye Scalps Hunted.

The Hoosiers started out as though they were on a hunting expedition-for Buckeye scalps. Five plays after the opening kick-off Vic Janowicz, the pride of Buckeyeville, fumbled the ball on his own 14, where Inserra immediately staked a claim to it. After Lou D'Achille, whom a Columbus sportscaster compared to Frankie Albert, lost 2 yards and Gene Gedman made them right back, Lou flipped one lo big Don Luft for the score. Less than three minutes of the game had been played, and the Hoosiers led, 6-0.

Then the Rucks started to roll. They marched 61 yards to the Hoosier 8 and appeared about to tic up the game. At this point the I.U. line made its first goalline stand, and the Bucks had to settle for a 21-yard Janowicz field goal.

Gedman Takes Pass.

Four minutes later Gedman cradled a D'Achille flip in his out-stretched arms and I.U. led, 13-3. The Hoosiers waited three more minutes before they scored again. The third I.U. score was a result of Van Ooyen's interception of a Tony Curcillo pass on the Buckeye 28. Gedman and Bobby Robertson made six yards in two plays. Then Lou hit Luft on the 6. From there Robertson bulled his way over on the next play.

The Hoosiers and Bucks played at a standstill throughout most of the second period. With fifty-seven seconds of playing time remaining in the first half, Dick Ashburner, who completed three out of four passes for 52 yards, passed to "Doc" Anderson in the end zone. D'Achille converted and the Hoosiers led at the end of the first half by a 26-3 count.

Janowicz Injured.

Janowicz suffered severe chest bruises in the first half and was kept out of action in the second half on doctor's orders. But with or without Janowicz, the Bucks didn't have it. His relief, Bernie Skvarka, turned in a creditable performance in the second half as the Bucks outgained their visitors Midway through the third period Ohio State drove down to the I.U. 9.

But the Hoosier forward wall cried "Thou shalt not score," and four efforts later the Bucks had moved the pigskin only three yards.

Each team scored in the closing stanza. Gedman spun over for the Hoosiers from three yards out at 4:34, and Skvarka passed to Bob Joslin for a Buckeye marker at 6:29. However, many of the 74-225 incredulous spectators wern't around to see the final scoring. Many fans left the stadium early in the fourth period, convinced that the Bucks were a beaten outfit.