sports men's soccer

Hoosiers men's soccer falters in Big Ten Tournament title game

#18

It was a battle between two of the top soccer programs in the country Sunday in the Big Ten Tournament championship game when No. 7 IU met No. 13 Maryland.

It was the conference newcomers who came away with a 2-1 win against the Hoosiers as midfielder Mael Corboz scored on a free kick from just outside the box in the 86th minute to give Maryland the victory.

It was a controversial call that left players and coaches frustrated after the game.

“I felt like the ref had kind of a knee-jerk reaction because a player went down,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “Grant’s shoe was stepped on and clearly it wasn’t a foul. I give them (Maryland) credit. That was a big time set piece goal from them. It’s just tough, it stings, when your players thought it could’ve gone the other way.”

The goal crushed the momentum the Hoosiers had building from junior midfielder Andrew Oliver’s equalizing goal, which came in the 64th minute.

The goal originally looked as though it was an own goal, but after replay, the defender’s attempted clear went off of Oliver’s foot and in for the goal.

The loss was the second of the season to Maryland (13-5-3) for IU (12-4-5).

“It’s going to be a great rivalry,” Yeagley said. “It was a championship-caliber game. I thought we had the better of the flow in the game. It’s tough to do against Maryland at their place in front of some of the arguably toughest fans to play in front of.”

Oliver and senior defender Patrick Doody made the All-Big Ten Tournament team.

“I think we have the best conference,” Yeagley said.

“Maryland has done a great job, and Sasho (Cirovski) has been there for over 20 years. He modeled his program and wanted to have an Indiana on the east coast. They have a lot of respect for our program, and we’ve had a lot of big games against one another in the past.

“It was just a great battle with two programs that are in those games over the course of time more often than not. Two deserving teams in the final going at it, and sometimes you just find yourself on the wrong side of it.”

Now the Hoosiers will prepare for the NCAA Tournament where the team will go for its ninth national championship in school history.

The selection show is at 1 p.m. Monday, broadcast at ? ncaa.com.

The team will have a watch party at Yogi’s Grill and Bar.

IU will likely be ?seeded somewhere in the five through eight range and get to host a first round match in Bloomington.

“I like the way they (the players) left the field today because there was a bit of an edge to them,” Yeagley said. “They feel as though they deserved better. You like a team performing well going into the tournament, and we had an average performance Friday, and I thought today (Sunday) was the type of performance you need to have to win games in the ?tournament.”

“I like the feeling this group has going into the NCAAs. They’re ready to tackle the challenge.”