GLBT center celebrates 20 years

Attendees interacting at IU's GLBT Student Support Services 20th Anniversary on Wednesday.

Rainbow note cards speckled the walls of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Support Services office Wednesday afternoon on the center’s 20th birthday.

The cards gave thanks for all the work the office has done for the betterment of LGBT people, wishes for a successful future and memories of the office as a home and safe place.

To celebrate the anniversary, the office hosted an array of speakers, including Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan, Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs James Wimbush, Chief of Staff of the Office of the President Karen Adams, Dean of Students Harold ‘Pete’ Goldsmith, Chancellor Emeritus Ken Gros Luis and several other campus leaders.

They told stories, ate snacks and laughed about their memories of the office.

“We want to fill the walls with good memories,” Director of the GLBTSSS Doug Bauder said.

Two decades ago when the office opened, it was just one room at its current location, which was then the office of student ethics and anti-harassment. It was then known as the GLB office, representing only gay, lesbian and bisexual people, until a few years later when a “T” was added for transgender people.

“We are just now getting a greater understanding of trans issues,” Bauder said. “And we are just scratching the surface.”

It wasn’t an easy feat to get the office to open, Kruzan said in his speech reflecting on his time in the state legislature.

“The state legislature erupted when this place was opening,” Kruzan said. “Some decided it was ?completely inappropriate and wanted to cut IU’s budget $500,000.”

To compromise, the University agreed to privately fund the office instead of using University money. The office is still funded privately today thanks in large part to alumni donations, Bauder said.

Elizabeth Hanson, the first visitor to the office and retired IU librarian, was also at the anniversary celebration. She said she remembers bringing flowers to the office the morning it opened. The office still keeps the vase.

“Well, it’s a heavy vase,” Hanson said. “I thought if a protester was going to give me any trouble, I could hit them on the head with it.”

Bauder said no protesters were present the day the office opened, just Hanson.

The office was also helping students with problems 20 years ago.

“20 years ago the office was seen as a place for students who were being harassed or needed help coming out,” GLBTSSS office supervisor Jamie Bartzel said.

“But we have better awareness now, and it’s seen as more of a place to celebrate. It’s a more joyful place.”

However, the office still assists students coming out, students who are harassed and parents who have questions about their child’s sexual orientation or gender expression, Bartzel said.

Both Bauder and Bartzel said they agreed the office still has things it wants to work toward, as well. The office has received criticism for not properly addressing women’s issues, polyamory, asexuality and trans issues, Bauder said.

“I hope we appoint a younger coordinator who can look at these issues in new ways,” Bauder said. “We want to hear more voices.”

They also hope they can be more involved with how gender and sexuality intersect with other identities such as class, race or religion, as well as reach out to more people of color, Bartzel said.

Sophomore Nick Rivera said he hopes the office doesn’t have to exist in the future.

“Hopefully the progression of the way people think continues in what we see as the right direction,” Rivera said. “If it does then eventually the support center won’t be needed because everybody can just live as themselves.”

The office has been a second home to Rivera, and he said it has helped him more than he could ever imagine by enabling him to embrace his identity and recognize he’s not alone.

“Without the people here who have helped me I would be a totally different person,” Rivera said. “Missing this celebration would be like missing a family birthday party or Thanksgiving.”

Bill Shipton has seen the impact of the office firsthand from his experiences as a college student and as the former director of diversity, residential programs and services.

“This office has literally saved lives,” Shipton said.

After being with the office all of its 20 years, Bauder said he believes the most ?powerful thing it does is empower students.

“The office serves students, who then serve themselves, and then serve other students,” Bauder said. “The students who come in this office go out and change how the world sees GLBT ?issues.”