Notebook: Wynn more comfortable mixing between slot and outside

IUvsNT

IU senior receiver Shane Wynn credited a slightly reworked game plan for his success Saturday.

By design, the 5-foot-7 receiver saw more time in the slot in IU’s 49-24 win against North Texas.

He finished with five receptions for 127 yards and two touchdowns, including a 76-yard reception late in the third quarter, which tied a career-long catch.

Wynn was moved from the slot to the outside position this season but admitted he still feels more comfortable playing in the slot.

“I’m more comfortable in the slot because I did it three years,” Wynn said. “I’m just getting used to the outside.”

Wynn has said adjusting to being the No. 1 receiver on the outside this season, typically getting matched up against the opponent’s best defensive back, has been a challenge.

But playing in a mix of outside and slot, Wynn was able to take advantage of mismatches Saturday for what was statistically his second-best game of the season.

Wynn’s 127 yards moved him within three yards of passing former receiver Tandon Doss (2008-2010) for 10th place on the Hoosiers all-time receiving yards list.

He’s also now just 32 catches behind James Hardy (2004-2006) for the top spot on IU’s career reception list.

“He just did a great job getting open,” junior quarterback Nate Sudfeld said. “When he’s one-on-one with somebody, he’s going to cross them up and take off, so we had some good looks. I just knew once he crossed the guy’s face or made a move, I was just going to launch it for him. He has great speed and got under the ball.” ?

Youngsters lead ?IU defense

Apart from a few hiccups in the fourth quarter, the IU defense was consistent Saturday and was led mostly by the performance of first or second-year players.

After giving up an average of 519 yards per game in IU’s previous three outings, the Hoosiers limited the Mean Green to just 348 total yards.

“I think we just played really tough,” freshman safety Chase Dutra said. “I think we came out and punched them right in the mouth.”

Nine of IU’s leading 12 tacklers were either true freshmen, redshirt freshmen or sophomores.

IU was led in tackles by freshman cornerback Donovan Clark who registered six tackles.

Freshman linebacker Tegray Scales intercepted North Texas freshman quarterback Dajon Williams in the game’s opening possession. Dutra added a pick of his own in the second half along the IU sideline.

“Chase, the redshirt freshman, you had Fant out there, redshirt guys,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “You’ve got to play those guys. The more we play as we go through the year, we won’t wear down as we have defensively as in years past.”

Spriggs sits out, Harris shaken up

Sophomore offensive lineman Jason Spriggs sat out with a lingering knee injury, and freshman receiver J-Shun Harris exited the game early in the first quarter after an apparent head injury.

Wilson said Harris had “concussion-like symptoms” after taking a hit in IU’s opening offensive possession.

Wilson said Spriggs could have played, but the coaching staff decided it would be better to have him sit out despite warming up with the second team in walkthroughs.

Junior Ralson Evans started in Spriggs’ place, and sophomore Jacob Bailey changed to the left guard position.

Wilson said he had no problem playing anybody from his depth chart but also said IU didn’t play as well inside as he would have liked.

“We have a lot of confidence in Ralston,” Wilson said. “They’ve all played. Nine, 10, 11 played. He’s been in big games and played on that field. He’s a Texas guy. I thought he played pretty good against his boys in there. It was good for him. He earned it.”