oped

The $80 million loss

opinion illo

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence has received some intense and well-deserved criticism throughout the past several weeks for subtly nixing Indiana’s bid for a federal preschool grant that could have brought the state up to $80 million throughout the next four years. The most furious condemnations have come from a host of early childhood learning advocates, a group to which Pence claims to belong.

The only shadow of an explanation he has provided thus far is that such an immense aid package would imply a lack of faith in a more conservative $10 million preschool program he successfully passed earlier this year.

It’s no secret that Indiana’s public schools are struggling financially, to put the situation mildly. Many, if not most, school systems across the state are grievously underfunded, and Pence’s decision to kill this grant simply because he didn’t want his own project to be overshadowed is simply ?outrageous.

While it is true that the number of schools who receive an F rating from the Department of Education has been on a slight decline since 2010, that hardly seems like a reason to turn away $80 million that would support, among other things, early childhood literacy.

Early childhood literacy is considered a key component to a child’s success, both in school and in life.

In March 2013, the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research published a study that showed that “children 4 to 5 years of age who are read to three to five times a week are six months ahead of their peers in terms of reading acumen.”

In a 1991 Boyer study, kindergarten teachers reported that 35 percent of the children who arrive to their classes are unprepared to learn due to lack of exposure to educational precursors.

Preschool also carries scores of economic benefits, from employing more teachers to allowing ?parents to work while their children are at school.

Especially for low-income families, preschool is a crucial aspect of daily life because one or both parents may not be able to afford childcare and therefore are unable to work.

Ultimately, preschool is essential and Pence was wildly irresponsible to simply blow off a chance to receive $80 million to help children and their families learn, grow and succeed.

Indiana lost out on an incredible opportunity when Pence made the wrong decision. His weak defense of his poor choices simply highlighted his inadequacy even further.

When asked to explain his rationale, Pence said, “It was a tough call. But when you sit behind this desk, most of the decisions fall in that category.”

On behalf of all the children across the state of Indiana, here’s hoping most of his future decisions don’t fall into the fumble category.