Hoosiers set to face the Spartans

Football vs MSU

By Sam Beishuizensbeishui@indiana.edu | @Sam_Beishuizen

On Saturday, the Old Brass Spittoon goes on the line.

IU and Michigan State will play for the trophy at 3:30 p.m. Saturday in the Hoosiers’ third Big Ten game of the season.

Although the rivalry doesn’t quiet have the same atmosphere as the IU-Purdue matchup, IU junior offensive lineman Ralston Evans said it’s a game the two schools take seriously.

“I wouldn’t say it’s bad blood, I mean, there one of the better defenses in the Big Ten and really all around the country,” Evans said. “With our offense and the things that we do, it’s a good challenge knowing you’re putting two of the best units against each other.”

The No. 8 Spartans improved to 5-1 overall and 2-0 in the Big Ten after a 45-31 win against Purdue in West Lafayette last week.

Michigan State’s lone loss on the season came Sept. 6 against Oregon by a final score of 46-27. Based off projections, Michigan State could be a potential threat to represent the Big Ten in the four-team college football playoff.

“It’s a trophy game,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “If we want those guys to keep it, they can keep it up there. They are a great team. It ain’t going to be an easy game but we look forward to a good week, though.”

The Hoosiers (3-3, 0-2) enter the Homecoming matchup having lost two of their last three games following IU’s 31-27 upset at then-No. 18 Missouri.

Maryland easily beat IU 37-15 to open up the Big Ten season. After beating North Texas the following week, IU lost to Iowa on the road last Saturday 45-29.

The Hoosiers may have lost the game to the Hawkeyes, but the bigger loss may have been junior quarterback Nate Sudfeld who left the game with a separated shoulder.

At times this season, the Spartans have struggled against teams that play quickly, which is something IU has often tried to do.

Over the last two years, the Hoosiers have put up 55 points against a Michigan State team that regularly finds itself among the nation’s best defenses.

Spartan junior quarterback Connor Cook has completed just 30-of-66 passes in the past two games, which is struggling considering his track record.

On the season, Cook has already tossed 13 touchdown passes and thrown for 1309 yards and only throwing four interceptions. His 81.3 total QBR ranks 10th in the country and is first among Big Ten quarterbacks.

The Hoosiers opened the Homecoming week as 14-point underdogs to Michigan State, implying that a Homecoming win would certainly be an upset.

IU senior safety Mark Murphy said he wants to make that upset a reality during IU’s Homecoming festivities.

“I think for us as a team, it’s just big to play for our fans, to play for each other, to enjoy the atmosphere and go out there and play hard,” Murphy said.

Follow reporter Sam Beishuizen on Twitter,  @Sam_Beishuizen