Several people honored for their support of IU

Seven people have been honored as 2014 Partners in Philanthropy by IU.

The honorees were given one of three awards, and nominations were taken from all IU campuses. The possible awards were the Cornerstone Award, Keystone Award and Herman B Wells Visionary Award, according to a University press release.

IU President Michael A. McRobbie and IU Foundation President and CEO Daniel C. Smith jointly presented the awards Thursday.

“The annual Partners in Philanthropy recognition is symbolic of the enduring values and ideals upon which Indiana University has operated throughout its history, and the seven individuals honored this year represent the finest traditions of service to the university,” McRobbie said, according to the University. “Their longstanding generosity and commitment to the University, as well as to their communities, have contributed greatly to the university’s mission and improved lives of countless Hoosiers.”

The Cornerstone Award was given to three individuals this year whose partnership and volunteer involvement have been key in the success of an IU philanthropic initiative for a campus, program or school, according to the University.

Louise Eleanor Addicott, Joel Meier and Patricia Meier received the award.

Addicott and her husband, Yatish Joshi, became involved in IU when two of their three children, Georgina and Avatar, attended IU.

Addicott started the Georgina Joshi Foundation in memory of Georgina. The foundation endows Jacobs School of Music and IU-South Bend master classes. Addicott has also given funding to several music graduate voice students to help them transition into the professional music world.

“It is not what you can do for yourself but what you can do for others; that’s what counts,” Addicott often says, according to the release.

Her husband, Joshi, became a leader in the renovation of IU-South Bend’s recital hall. The renovation saw the transformation of the building into a world-class venue for performance by chamber musicians, soloists and small ensembles, according to the University.

The hall was named for Addicott and Joshi in September.

Joel Meier was chair of the Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Studies at IU for 16 years. During that time, Patti Meier was the docent at the IU Art Museum, where she helped the education program grow, according to the University.

Although the Meiers have moved away from Bloomington, they come back regularly to conduct workshops for IU students.

Kathryn Ryan Booth and John R. MacLennan were both awarded the Keystone Award for their volunteer leadership in multiple IU fundraising campaigns.

Booth, an IU graduate, now chairs the Women’s Philanthropy Council and serves on the IU Foundation Board of Directors, according to the University.

Booth is also behind the launch of the Equities and Legal Women’s Network at Bear Sterns.

MacLennan is also an IU graduate. He now works at IU-Northwest, where he helped establish the IU Northwest Alumni Association. Additionally, he and his wife, Elizabeth MacLennan, were key in creating the annual IU-Northwest Scholarship Gala fundraising event, according to the University.

“Philanthropy to me means an opportunity to return a favor,” MacLennan said in the release.

V. William Hunt and Nancy Bergen Hunt both received the Herman B Wells Visionary Award.

The award recognizes individuals whose lifetime volunteer commitment to the University shows an understanding of the power of philanthropy to both shape the future of IU and determination to follow through on that future, according to the University.

Nancy Hunt, among other accomplishments, is a founding member of the Women’s Philanthropy Council. Bill Hunt has served on countless boards and committees both at IU and in the community.