School of Education dean retiring

After 15 years as dean of the IU School of Education, Gerardo Gonzalez has announced he will retire from his position effective June 30.

Gonzalez was named dean of the school July 2000, according to the University.

The IU School of Education has been consistently ranked as a top education program by U.S. News and World Report during Gonzalez’s time as dean.

The School of Education’s online program was recently ranked No. 2 in the country.

During Gonzalez’s time as dean of the school, the School of Education offered IU’s first online doctorate program and created collaborative degree programs with the Kelley School of Business and the Maurer School of Law.

“Under Gerardo’s leadership, the Indiana University School of Education has consistently been one of the nation’s leading institutions in terms of producing exceptional teachers, researchers and educational innovators,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in a University press release.

The search for Gonzalez’s replacement will begin after a comprehensive review of the School of Education, according to the University.

“Reimagining education” was one of seven bicentennial priorities outlined in McRobbie’s State of the University address last Tuesday.

The search will be guided by a comprehensive review of trends in educational research and teacher education conducted by an outside panel of experts.

After retiring from his role as dean, Gonzalez plans to take time off before returning to the School of Education as a full-time faculty member, according to the University.

“On a personal level, I look forward to devoting more attention to my teaching and research and spending more time with my family,” Gonzalez said in the release. “When we moved to Bloomington, I had no idea this would turn into one of the longest deanships at IU and nationally. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.”