Registered sex offenders must attend mandatory Halloween meeting

All registered sex offenders currently under supervision by the Monroe Circuit Court Probation Department must report to the Justice Center for a mandatory meeting during trick-or-treating hours this Halloween, as they have for the last 13 years.

In addition to offenders currently under the supervision of the department, all paroled sex offenders will be required to attend the meeting or be available for home visits or phone calls from parole officers, according to a press release from the parole department.

Paroled sex offenders who stay at home during these hours are advised to turn off their outside lights, avoid displaying Halloween decorations and post signs saying they will not be handing out candy. This way, trick-or-treaters will not be inclined to visit their homes.

Those on probation who do not attend the meeting will also be subject to home contacts from probation staff.

“Attendance at this special session is not meant to be punishment,” Linda Brady, chief probation officer, said in the release. “It is a meeting to promote a safer community. As has been our custom, we will be showing a movie to the group.”

The event is closed to the general public. Bloomington trick-or-treat hours this year are 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Friday.